Live updates

Cellulitis and poisoning from venomous spider bite

Layla's mother, Wendy said her daughter developed cellulitis and blood poisoning:

My other daughter found the spider in the bathroom and we took it to the hospital - but they just laughed and said it had been in the country for years, and it was the way Layla had reacted to the bite.

They contacted a tropical diseases hospital in London and had some special cream couriered down, but that made it worse and had to be washed off. It was awful by then, with vivid orange stuff leaching from the wound. At that point they said she might need to have surgery to wash it out.

Earlier this month, a man also claimed to have been bitten by a False Widow spider. Ricki Whitmore says the creature bit him, causing his leg to swell. Read more here.

Advertisement

Postman refuses to deliver letter over 'massive' spider

A postman refused to deliver a letter to a south London home after spotting a "massive" spider on the path to the front door, the Daily Mail has reported.

The 42-year-old postman said the spider was the same size as a 10p coin, and wrote a message on Stuart Robertson-Reed's letter refusing to enter. He said he had left it be to avoid breaking the web.

A common garden orb spider Credit: Nick Ansell/PA Wire

The note read: "No access - massive spider web in front gate". Mr Robertson-Reed said: "'I couldn't believe it. He was either spider-friendly and didn't want to break the web or a terrified arachnophobe."

Royal Mail apologised for any inconvenience today, adding that "alternative arrangements should have been made".

Greg Hitchcock of Kent Wildlife Trust confirmed that this arachnid is a common garden spider - and not one of thousands of poisonous spiders currently plaguing Britain.

Read: False widow spider 'eats leg'

Advertisement

Today's top stories