A strike by London firefighters planned for tonight has been called off.
Members of the Fire Brigades Union had been due to walk out for five hours in a row over pensions.
Strike action by firefighters has been called off after progress was made in a dispute over pensions.
The walkout was due to last from 6.30 to 11.30pm tomorrow and reduce the number of fire engines operating in London from 169 to just 27.
The Fire Brigades Union said it had been presented with a similar deal to one made by the Scottish Government, covering the retirement of firemen and women aged between 55 and 60.
The London Fire Brigade is asking people to take extra care in their homes ahead of a second planned national strike tomorrow.
The walkout, which will take place between 6.30pm and 11.30pm tomorrow, will see the number of fire engines in London reduced from 169 to just 27.
Plans are in place to provide a contingency level of emergency cover across the capital during the strike, but officials have warned less urgent incidents may not be attended.
The strike is part of an ongoing dispute over pensions.
London firefighters are to strike for five hours on Saturday 19 October over pensions, the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) announced today.
The union said members will down tools from 6.30pm to 11.30pm. General secretary Matt Wrack said: “We had hoped our first strike was enough to show government that firefighters could not be more serious about protecting public safety and ensuring fair pensions.
“We hope this second strike will mean both governments will be willing to discuss the full range of concerns that firefighters and the general public have expressed."
Firefighters vote to strike: 'It's not too late for common sense to prevail,' says FBU leader: http://t.co/smkNJJU9Rg
78% of FBU members vote to strike. Turnout of 60% solid and respectable, and very much at upper end of spectrum for union ballots.
The London Brigade said it will be issuing further fire safety advice in the lead to any potential strike date.
London Fire Commissioner, Ron Dobson, said:
It’s a pity that we are in this position, but we are prepared and our contingency fire service is ready to operate during a strike. Last month we temporarily removed 27 fire engines from stations across London and these will be used by contingency crews to provide a level of fire cover for the capital.
During a strike, my advice to the public would be to take even greater care to prevent fires from breaking out at home. Simple steps like keeping a really close eye on cooking and making sure cigarettes are disposed of properly can make all the difference.
London Fire Brigade said today it is ready and prepared to deal with a firefighter strike, following the announcement that 78% of Fire Brigades’ Union (FBU) members who took part in the ballot have voted in favour of strike action.
A strike, which would be the first national firefighter strike in over a decade, is over a dispute between the FBU and government over the government’s reforms to the Firefighters’ Pension Scheme.
Firefighters have voted by almost 4-1 in favour of a strike in a row over pensions, said the Fire Brigades Union.
The Rail Maritime and Transport workers union has confirmed that a strike on London Overground services will go ahead this weekend after an agreement was not reached over job cuts.
The RMT claims that 130 guard jobs are at risk over plans to run driver-only services on some trains. They will walk out for 48 hours from 00:01 on Sunday August 25th.
The strike takes place over the weekend of Notting Hill Carnival and is expected to cause widespread disruptions to services, especially on the Richmond and Clapham Junction to Stratford Junction routes.
Transport for London said they were working hard to keep as many services running as possible and there will be alternative Tube, bus and rail services available.
Planned strikes by workers who scan baggage at Stansted airport have been called off after a deal on pay was agreed.
Members of the GMB union were due to take industrial action over the bank holiday weekend but have voted to accept an improved offer, which was made after talks with contractor Mitie under the auspices of the conciliation service Acas.
GMB officer Gary Pearce said: " I am glad that common sense has prevailed and that Mitie has agreed to pay what GMB members have been asking for since October of last year.
"I have given notice to the company that the strike action has now been withdrawn."