Live updates

Eleven taken to hospital after bus crash

South East Coast Ambulance service said that eleven people had to be taken to hospital after the school coach crash in Staines this morning.

One person suffering back injuries was taken to St George's Hospital, while ten others with more minor injuries were taken to St Peters Hospital.

A further 58 passengers were assessed at the scene but did not need hospital treatment.

Advertisement

No 'life threatening injuries' in bus crash

Ambulances were called to the scene in Chetsey Lane, Staines at around 10am this morning, where a coach carrying school children to Thorpe Park crashed into a railway bridge.

A statement on the school website said that a number of the children had sustained 'cuts and bruises', but no one had been seriously injured.

South East Coast Ambulance Service said it has declared a 'major incident' because of the nature of the incident, but none of the injuries were thought to be life threatening.

We have robust plans in place for managing incidents of this nature and will be working with our emergency service partners to ensure that we assess and treat anyone who may be injured as swiftly as possible.

– Justin Wand, South East Coast Ambulance Service

'Major incident' as bus carrying school children crashes into bridge

A "major incident" has been declared after a coach carrying schoolchildren to Thorpe Park on a school trip crashed into a railway bridge.

The vehicle was taking 76 pupils to the theme park in Staines. No-one was seriously injured in the crash, the bus company said.

Witnesses have posted pictures on twitter of the crash, where the top deck of the bus appears to have been ripped off on impact.

Kevin Pietersen signs contract to return to Surrey

Kevin Pietersen has signed a contract to return to Surrey this summer. The move gives the record-breaking batsman the opportunity to press for an England recall, after being sacked in February 2014 following the Ashes whitewash defeat in Australia.

Pietersen cleared the way for a return to The Oval by agreeing a release from the majority of his Indian Premier League contract with Sunrisers Hyderabad - which clashed with the start of the English domestic season - and he will be available for Surrey's first LV= County Championship match against Glamorgan in Cardiff on April 19.

Teenage boy jailed after subjecting victim to a string of sex attacks

A 16-year-old boy has been jailed after admitting a string of sex offences on a woman three times his age.

Credit: PA

The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, admitted charges including rape and attempted rape. He was jailed for 6 years.

The teenager was also placed on the Sex Offenders Register for the horrifying sex assault on a 48-year-old woman.

The victim was walking along a footpath in Bagshot in Surrey in June last year when the boy approached her and physically attacked her before sexually assaulting and raping her.

He fled after she screamed for help.

Advertisement

Load more updates