28-year-old Amal El-Wahabi tricked her old school friend into into taking £15,830 in cash to Turkey for her husband Aine Davis.Read the full story ›
Nawal Msaad, who was accused of trying to smuggle cash in her underwear on a flight to Turkey, has been cleared of funding jihadists in Syria.
The 27-year-old attempted to take a stash of 20,000 euros in bank notes on a flight to Istanbul from Heathrow in January, but was stopped at the departure gate and the cash, hidden inside a condom, had fallen out into her pants.
She denied the charge of making money available with "reasonable cause to suspect that it would or may be used for the purposes of terrorism", claiming her friend Amal El-Wahabi had "stitched her up".
The jury cleared Msaad but convicted El-Wahabi following five days of deliberations.
Amal El-Wahabi, 27, whose British husband is believed to be fighting in Syria, was found guilty by an Old Bailey jury of funding terrorism by arranging to send 20,000 euros in cash to Turkey at his request.
A pair of brothers from east London have pleaded guilty to conspiring to attend a terror training camp in Syria.
Hamza Nawaz, 24, and Mohommod Nawaz, 30, were stopped by police in September last year as they arrived at the port of Dover from Calais.
Officers who searched their car allegedly found a balaclava, some ''heavy-duty clothing'', six mobile phones, a Sim card inside a Koran and five rounds of ammunition for an automatic weapon.
It was claimed the pair had driven from their home in Stratford to Calais, and then flown from Lyon to Turkey. From there they allegedly travelled into Syria.
At a brief hearing at the Old Bailey both men pleaded guilty to conspiring to attend a place used for terrorist training between January 1 2012 and September 16 2013.
The Association of Police Chiefs has released a document giving information and advice on travel to Syria. This comes on the day a national campaign is launched to stop would-be British terrorists visiting Syria.
The MET police document outlined terrorism risks, what could happen to you if you visited Syria, what the UK government is doing to help Syrians and how you help the Syrian people.
Some of the points outlined in the document are as follows:
- Families may face ransom demands.
- Assad uses the presence of UK nationals in Syria to support claims that his regime is fighting foreign terrorists.
- If you travel for humanitarian reasons, you are very likely to come into contact with terrorist groups and you may get drawn into their activities.
Senior National Coordinator for Counter Terrorism Policing Helen Ball will be hosting a live webchat on the MET website at 2pm.
Nick Clegg has backed the initiative to stop Brits from joining the Syria conflict, warning that the return of radicalised fighters from Syria was "now one of the biggest security threats we face as a country".
"I don't think we should under-estimate the gravity of this now," the Deputy Prime Minister said during his weekly phone-in on LBC radio.
"The security threat to us as a country - on British streets, British towns, British cities, British communities - from people going to Syria and coming back radicalised with violent intentions is now one of the biggest security threats we face as a country.
"It is something the Prime Minister, myself and other members of the Government are very focused on so of course I support the work of the security services and the police."
Police are appealing particularly to British Muslim women to prevent their loved ones from joining the Syrian conflict.
As part of a campaign to curb rising numbers of would-be British jihadis, the country's counter-terrorism unit said it wanted women to be aware of what to do if they feared any men they know may be travelling to the country to fight.
Around 400 Britons are believed to have gone to Syria over the last two years, authorities believe, with an estimated 20 having died, including one man suspected of carrying out a suicide attack.
Abdul Waheed Majeed, 41, is believed to have driven a lorry to a jail in Aleppo before detonating a bomb in February.
A national campaign to stop would-be terrorists travelling to Syria will be launched today, following a dramatic rise in the number of people being arrested after going to the war-torn state.
UK authorities have long expressed fears about aspiring jihadis travelling to Syria for terrorist training, and it is thought that hundreds of Britons have already been there.
Scotland Yard says 40 Syria-related arrests were made in the first three months of this year, up from 25 in the whole of last year.
Senior National Co-ordinator Counter-Terrorism Helen Ball said the campaign is "not about criminalising people, it is about preventing tragedies".
"We want to inform those who wish to genuinely help the Syrian cause how they can do so safely and legally," she said.
Thousands of people walked from Hyde Park Corner to Downing Street to mark the third anniversary of the start of the conflict in Syria. The group says it wants to put pressure on the international community to help friends and family who remain in Syria.
At least 1,000 people are expected to take part in the march to mark three years since the start of the conflict in Syria. The UK Syrian community and their supporters say they will be marching to show their commitment to the cause of freedom in Syria.
The rally will begin at midday at Piccadilly Lane, opposite Hyde Park Corner and will end at Whitehall.