Tube bosses say they want to reach an agreement with the rail unions that is 'affordable, sustainable and fair'Read the full story ›
The launch of the 24-hour Tube has been postponed.
The service, which has been the cause of strike action by London Underground workers, was due to launch on 12 September but that has now been put on hold.
No new date has been put forward yet.
A petition urging the Mayor of London to begin operating driverless trains on London Underground has attracted nearly 6000 signatures.Read the full story ›
A busy London Underground station temporarily closed for almost an hour because it did not have enough staff.
Travellers who wanted to use Oxford Circus underground, in the heart of central London's busy shopping district, found it was shut from 8.58am to 9.46am, and that trains were not stopping.
Oxford Circus is a connecting hub for the Bakerloo, Central and Victoria lines.
A Transport for London spokesman said: "Due to a staff shortage, Oxford Circus Underground Station was closed for a short period between 8.58am and 9.46am with trains not stopping at the station. This has now been resolved and all trains are stopping normally.
"During the short station closures, customers could continue to use Tube stations in the area, including Bond Street, Piccadilly Circus and Tottenham Court Road."
Passengers were evacuated from the station as an emergency alarm sounded.
A repeated announcement said: "Ladies and gentlemen, your attention please: due to a reported emergency would all passengers leave the station immediately."
A sign reading "Emergency do not enter" was illuminated over the entrances to the station before the gates were closed.
Another 24 hour strike by workers on the London underground will go ahead today.
Some staff will walk out from 18:30. Tube drivers will join them at 21:30. It's the latest in a dispute over the new all-night service due to start in September.
London Underground has made a fresh offer to unions in a bid to try and stop next week's tube strike from taking place.
The two sides have been meeting for talks at the conciliation service ACAS to try to break the deadlock over plans to launch a new all-night tube service in September.
Union members walked out earlier this month in the biggest strike for 13 years, in a row over pay and conditions when the new service begins. They rejected an earlier offer from tube bosses aimed at preventing a second 24-hour walkout on August 5th.
However, tube bosses say that for the time being at least, the strike is still on:
We shall be consulting our reps over the weekend and give our response first thing on Monday morning.
As of now, however, the strike still remains on.
Talks are due to resume later today to try and avert a second tube strike planned for August 5th.
Discussions at reconciliation service ACAS between union leaders and tube bosses have so far failed.
All four transport unions are planning to walk out in a row over conditions for staff when the new night tube service begins later this year. Last week's strike was the biggest for 13 years and brought the whole network to a standstill.
A 24-hour strike by London Underground workers in a row over the new all-night Tube services is due to start this evening.
Talks aimed at averting the industrial action broke down yesterday.
Almost 20,000 members of four trade unions are to take part.
RNLI lifeboat crews in the capital have saved 420 lives since they began operating on the River Thames.
Its national fundraising campaign 'Mayday' kick's off in the capital today with fundraisers collecting at stations throughout the capital.
Hundreds of commuters were locked out of Oxford Circus tube last night to prevent overcrowding.Read the full story ›