The leader of the Unite union has said there will be further bus strikes in London if a deal is not struck on giving bus workers an Olympic bonus. Thousands of union members walked out on Friday causing delays for passengers.
Londoners defied the capital's biggest bus strike in 30 years today, despite thousands of drivers walking out in a row over Olympic bonuses. Workers from thirteen of the Capital's twenty bus companies took part in the industrial action.
The Mayor wants their union, Unite, to accept an 8 million pound offer to end the dispute. But Unite says it's not enough as Phil Bayles reports.
Talks aimed at averting a strike by London bus workers over an Olympic payment have broken down and the action is to go ahead.
Officials from Unite spent the day meeting officials under the auspices of the conciliation service Acas to try to reach agreement over the union's claim for a £500 bonus.
A union official said the talks had ended and the strike would go ahead, although a last-ditch legal move to get the action called off was continuing in the High Court.
Three bus companies asked Mr Justice Supperstone for an urgent injunction requiring Unite to withdraw the strike call.
Andrew Stafford QC, for Arriva, Metroline and London General, said each company had refused to award a bonus and there had been no negotiations as they believed that the Games would not involve much, if any, additional work & the workers had contracts under which they received agreed levels of pay.
The "Unite" union, which is behind Friday's bus strike, says it wants peace talks tomorrow at the concilation service "Acas".
It says it will be at Acas at 9 o'clock tomorrow morning.
Moves are now under to try to get representatives of London's 21 bus companies to attend too.A 24-hour walkout to due take place on Friday, to back up the bus dirvers' claim for a 500-pound Olympic bonus.