They just kept themselves to themselves and I keep myself to myself. So it was just a case of we'd pass and say hello to each other.
They were a very nice couple. They just seemed a very normal couple. I just know it's very unfortunate.
The fire at a Wandsworth shopping centre is affecting the restaurant's ventilation system. More info here - http://t.co/UgACzcVXhu
The Wandsworth shopping centre's been evacuated and crews are working hard to bring the fire under control.
Wandsworth shopping centre update: the fire which was affecting a restaurant's ventilation system is now under control.
- Scotland Yard said officers were called to the house in Stormont Road
- When they got in, they found the body of a woman in a first-floor bedroom and the body of a man in a first-floor bathroom
- Mrs French's death is being treated as suspicious, while that of Mr Morton is being treated as non-suspicious
A married couple have been found dead in their home in what appears to be a murder-suicide.
The bodies of 61-year-old Douglas Morton and his 73-year-old wife Carol French were found at their home in Wandsworth after police were called there just before 9am yesterday morning.
- The scouts are fixing the small, virtually transparent stickers to people's front doors
- They are so discreet that residents may not even notice they are there
- For criminals who know what to look for the stickers act as a big green light that the property is an easy target
Residents in part of south London are being warned of a new scam being used by burglars to target homes. Wandsworth Council says thieves are using accomplices to identify vulnerable properties and then mark them out with discreet plastic stickers.
The US ambassador to the UK will host an event to mark the beginning of construction of the new American Embassy today.
Ambassador Matthew Barzun will 'break-ground' at the site which spans 450 acres.
The Embassy, which is due to open in 2017, will be built near the River Thames in Wandsworth.
It's at the heart of plans to regenerate the local area Nine Elms and is expected to cost £620 million.
The embassy is designed to be as energy efficient and sustainable as possible.
Police have released descriptions of four men they are trying to trace:
- Black male wearing a light coloured tracksuit bottoms and a dark hooded top
- Black male wearing a light coloured hooded top underneath a dark coloured body warmer
- Black male wearing a black hooded puffa-style jacket
- Black male wearing dark clothing
A newsagent has been hit across the head with a hammer and another threatened at knifepoint by four masked Halloween thieves.
The men went into a newsagents on Taybridge Road in Wandsworth on Halloween night and threatened a member of staff at knifepoint forcing him to open the till. A colleague came to help but was hit with a hammer.
A leading claims that councils are to start a fresh round of spending cuts which could hit jobs and services. The GMB union says Wandsworth Council in South London will next week consider cuts of up to £43 million from April 2014.
The cuts will be savage and far-reaching, and it's hard to see how they will not translate into large-scale job losses.
This is the start of the cycle to implement a new round of cuts in councils to be introduced next April.