Live updates


Wimbledon steps up security in wake of Tunisia attack

Extra police officers are patrolling Wimbledon today amid heightened fears of a terror attack following last week's massacre of at least 30 Britons in Tunisia.

Wimbldeon Credit: PA

With the UK's terror threat level at "severe" - meaning an attack is "highly likely" - Scotland Yard said it has made changes changes to policing plans for this year's tournament.

As well as extra patrol officers, including some in plain clothes, a "highly mobile" reserve unit is ready to respond to "emerging incidents", the force said.

It comes after at least 30 British holidaymakers were killed in the Tunisian beach attack on Friday, and as the UK prepares to mark the 10th anniversary of the July 7 bombings next week.

The tennis action on Centre Court kicks off today with defending champion Novak Djokovic's first round match, while 2013 champion Andy Murray will begin his challenge tomorrow.

Drone seized after it flies over Wimbledon

It is an offence to fly a drone within 50 metres of a building Credit: PA

Police have seized a drone after it was spotted flying over Wimbledon tennis ground.

It was seized just after 8.30am after it was flown over All England Lawn Tennis Club where the Wimbledon tournament will start on Monday.

It was being operated by a man at a nearby golf course.

Police officers in Merton have reminded the public that it is illegal to fly a drone within 50 metres of a building.

Anyone intending to fly a drone should give prior consideration to the surrounding landscape and any structures or venues.

While it is not our intention to prevent people from enjoying the use of drones, it is important that regulations are adhered to.

– Insp Roger Robinson


Teen sexually assaulted on Wimbledon tram

Officers have released CCTV images of the man they want to trace about the sexual assault on a tram in Wilmbledon Credit: British Transport Police

British Transport Police have released an image of man they would like to speak to following a sexual assault on a tram.

The incident happened between Belgrave Walk station in Mitcham and Dundonald Road station in Wimbledon on Wednesday 25 March shortly before 8am.

The 17-year-old girl boarded the tram at Belgrave Walk heading to Wimbledon but during the journey she was inappropriately touched and assaulted by a man.

Anyone with information is asked to contact British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40, or text 61016, quoting reference S-SUB/B7 of 17/04/15.

Information can also be passed anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Nursery statement after inquest verdict

The owner of Dicky Birds Nurseries has released this statement following the inquest verdict today:

At the time we did not appreciate how dangerous jelly play could be. Immediately after the tragedy, we removed all free flow and food play from our nurseries. We remain devastated that the tragedy of this day two years ago cannot be undone and our thoughts remain with Tiya’s family.

– Rachel Berry, Dicky Birds Nurseries
Load more updates