To mark the Diamond Jubilee celebrations of 2012, this year’s British Military Tournament will cover the "life and times" of Queen Elizabeth II, starting with the events of 1926 (the year the Queen was born) and finishing with the current-day military engagement in Afghanistan.
The event is described as the largest display of military theatre anywhere in the world and will include:
- More than 600 participants (including active servicemen) and 150 horses.
- The bands of the Royal Marines, the Household Cavalry, the Royal Artillery and the Royal Air Force.
- The horses of the Household Cavalry competing with the motorcycles of the Royal Signals’ White Helmets over an obstacle course which includes jumps and flaming hoops.
- A battle re-enactment featuring the Royal Logistic Corps in a dramatic bomb disposal in Afghanistan.
- The largest massed bagpipe band seen at Earls Court since the Second World War.