Four fire engines and 20 firefighters tackled a blaze in a flat on All Saints Close in Lower Edmonton last night. The flat was full of thick black smoke, and crews in breathing apparatus tackled the blaze before finding a puppy dead in the living room.
Watch Manager Adam Baker, who was at the scene, said:
“We believe the fire was caused by a candle, which had been left in a plastic bowl on top of a plastic high chair, right next to the curtains and a large pile of dry clothes. The occupants then went out, leaving the candle burning."
“Candles are naked flames, and they need to be treated very carefully. Always put them on a heat resistant surface such as a ceramic plate, and blow them out when you leave the room.
This family has now lost their home and their puppy, and they’re very lucky that no one was hurt.”
More top news
By law in England all dogs must be microchipped by the time they're 8 weeks old. You can be fined up to £500 if your dog isn’t microchipped.
Footage shows violence break out between teams reportedly from the Turkish Community Football Federation in Wood Green.
Pranksters Alexei Stolyarov and Vladimir Kuznetsov - known as Lexus and Vovan - have claimed a series of high-profile victims.