All claimants who are deemed to have at least one spare bedroom will be affected. This includes:
- Separated parents who share the care of their children and who may have been allocated an extra bedroom to reflect this. Benefit rules mean that there must be a designated ‘main carer’ for children.
- Couples who use their ‘spare’ bedroom when recovering from an illness or operation
- Foster carers because foster children are not counted as part of the household for benefit purposes
- Parents whose children visit but are not part of the household
- Families with disabled children
- Disabled people including people living in adapted or specially designed properties.
More top news
Tonight it will be feeling chillier but will be brighter tomorrow.
The clinic has apologised for the human error that resulted in the private health information of HIV patients being leaked.
The multi-millionaire strip-club owner defended his policy of taking 23% of the service charges made by waitresses in his bars.