All claimants who are deemed to have at least one spare bedroom will be affected. This includes:
- Separated parents who share the care of their children and who may have been allocated an extra bedroom to reflect this. Benefit rules mean that there must be a designated ‘main carer’ for children.
- Couples who use their ‘spare’ bedroom when recovering from an illness or operation
- Foster carers because foster children are not counted as part of the household for benefit purposes
- Parents whose children visit but are not part of the household
- Families with disabled children
- Disabled people including people living in adapted or specially designed properties.
More top news
A British passport spoof 'have to take safety precautions when leaving house' video has hit 650,000 views on Facebook.
The jury in Henry Hicks inquest returns narrative verdict and says he was aware police were pursuing him when he crashed.
London's technology startup firms are warning of the threat of a 'techxit' brain drain.