All claimants who are deemed to have at least one spare bedroom will be affected. This includes:
- Separated parents who share the care of their children and who may have been allocated an extra bedroom to reflect this. Benefit rules mean that there must be a designated ‘main carer’ for children.
- Couples who use their ‘spare’ bedroom when recovering from an illness or operation
- Foster carers because foster children are not counted as part of the household for benefit purposes
- Parents whose children visit but are not part of the household
- Families with disabled children
- Disabled people including people living in adapted or specially designed properties.
More top news
Chelsea won the first domestic trophy of the season thanks to a 2-0 win over London rivals Spurs at Wembley.
An online video showing a naked man apparently falling down the outside of Buckingham Palace has split opinion online - is it a hoax?
A new market has started up in London championing the production of sustainably produced, local food.