All claimants who are deemed to have at least one spare bedroom will be affected. This includes:
- Separated parents who share the care of their children and who may have been allocated an extra bedroom to reflect this. Benefit rules mean that there must be a designated ‘main carer’ for children.
- Couples who use their ‘spare’ bedroom when recovering from an illness or operation
- Foster carers because foster children are not counted as part of the household for benefit purposes
- Parents whose children visit but are not part of the household
- Families with disabled children
- Disabled people including people living in adapted or specially designed properties.
More top news
Elizabeth Hurley told ITV News it was vital for those who survive the disease to continue to be supported after their recovery.
The mother of Shane Virami are taking Thomas Cook and a friend of his to court over his death.
The OktoberFest beer festival, due to take place this weekend, has been cancelled at the last minute.