All claimants who are deemed to have at least one spare bedroom will be affected. This includes:
- Separated parents who share the care of their children and who may have been allocated an extra bedroom to reflect this. Benefit rules mean that there must be a designated ‘main carer’ for children.
- Couples who use their ‘spare’ bedroom when recovering from an illness or operation
- Foster carers because foster children are not counted as part of the household for benefit purposes
- Parents whose children visit but are not part of the household
- Families with disabled children
- Disabled people including people living in adapted or specially designed properties.
More top news
Anti-fox hunting campaigners marched from on Downing Street to oppose controversial promise to hold a vote to repeal the Hunting Act.
Thousands of drivers were caught illegally using their mobile phones on London's roads following a major crackdown.
A motorcyclist is fighting for his life in hospital after a crash with a car in Kensington.