All claimants who are deemed to have at least one spare bedroom will be affected. This includes:
- Separated parents who share the care of their children and who may have been allocated an extra bedroom to reflect this. Benefit rules mean that there must be a designated ‘main carer’ for children.
- Couples who use their ‘spare’ bedroom when recovering from an illness or operation
- Foster carers because foster children are not counted as part of the household for benefit purposes
- Parents whose children visit but are not part of the household
- Families with disabled children
- Disabled people including people living in adapted or specially designed properties.
More top news
Frustrated commuters took to Twitter to brand Stratford station the "7th circle of Hell" as football fans caused rush hour congestion.
People have been protesting outside the French Embassy today over burkinis being banned on some beaches in France.
Police have released CCTV footage to try to track down a gang who robbed two teenagers of their bikes and mobile phones.