All claimants who are deemed to have at least one spare bedroom will be affected. This includes:
- Separated parents who share the care of their children and who may have been allocated an extra bedroom to reflect this. Benefit rules mean that there must be a designated ‘main carer’ for children.
- Couples who use their ‘spare’ bedroom when recovering from an illness or operation
- Foster carers because foster children are not counted as part of the household for benefit purposes
- Parents whose children visit but are not part of the household
- Families with disabled children
- Disabled people including people living in adapted or specially designed properties.
More top news
Boris Johnson wants a personal drone to fly across the skies of London and deliver his online shopping.
Police in Harrow have released CCTV footage as part of a reappeal for information about a sexual assault that happened last November.
Members of the RMT union on the Northern Line are planning to walk out on Monday after a driver was sacked for failing a breath test.