All claimants who are deemed to have at least one spare bedroom will be affected. This includes:
- Separated parents who share the care of their children and who may have been allocated an extra bedroom to reflect this. Benefit rules mean that there must be a designated ‘main carer’ for children.
- Couples who use their ‘spare’ bedroom when recovering from an illness or operation
- Foster carers because foster children are not counted as part of the household for benefit purposes
- Parents whose children visit but are not part of the household
- Families with disabled children
- Disabled people including people living in adapted or specially designed properties.
More top news
Several famous London landmarks lost their illuminations for an hour last night as part of a charity campaign to highlight climate change.
As Christians communities prepare to mark Holy Week, find out the true meaning behind the Easter story and how each day will be celebrated.
More than 200 people are expected at London's first Muslim Youth Festival which will look at stopping the radicalisation of young Britons.