All claimants who are deemed to have at least one spare bedroom will be affected. This includes:
- Separated parents who share the care of their children and who may have been allocated an extra bedroom to reflect this. Benefit rules mean that there must be a designated ‘main carer’ for children.
- Couples who use their ‘spare’ bedroom when recovering from an illness or operation
- Foster carers because foster children are not counted as part of the household for benefit purposes
- Parents whose children visit but are not part of the household
- Families with disabled children
- Disabled people including people living in adapted or specially designed properties.
More top news
Puppies and dogs have been rescued from an address in Dagenham, after being found in appalling conditions.
Dramatic CCTV footage has captured the moment a bus driver tackled a passenger to the ground in a street fight 'over the bus fare'.
Police are trying to track down a man who sexually assaulted a schoolgirl in Bethnal Green, after posing as a plumber to get into her flat