All claimants who are deemed to have at least one spare bedroom will be affected. This includes:
- Separated parents who share the care of their children and who may have been allocated an extra bedroom to reflect this. Benefit rules mean that there must be a designated ‘main carer’ for children.
- Couples who use their ‘spare’ bedroom when recovering from an illness or operation
- Foster carers because foster children are not counted as part of the household for benefit purposes
- Parents whose children visit but are not part of the household
- Families with disabled children
- Disabled people including people living in adapted or specially designed properties.
More top news
Two members of the public were injured along with two police officers who were in the unmarked vehicle.
Scotland Yard recorded 1,235 Islamophobic attacks in the last 12 months, compared with 811 in 2015.
Officers say the child, aged two, was targeted in the Lewisham Shopping Centre.