The project includes:
- A new Central Foyer - a glazed atrium that will cover the space between the Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room, and the Hayward Gallery.
- A new Glass Pavilion - a venue "floating" on top of the Central Foyer, designed to hold a full orchestra of 150 and choir of up to 250 plus small audience.
- A new 'liner' building along Waterloo Bridge, including a national literature centre and two restaurants.
- New venues for gigs and dance performances in the undercrofts - the spaces underneath the complex.
- general refurbishment work
- improved disabled access
More top news
Gary Johnson says he signed a "gagging order" as part of his settlement - but Chelsea have since waived the clause.
Rail passengers hit by long-running disruption on the Southern network are to be repaid the equivalent of a month's travel.
The studios were home to some of ITV's best loved programmes dating back to the 1960s.