The project includes:
- A new Central Foyer - a glazed atrium that will cover the space between the Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room, and the Hayward Gallery.
- A new Glass Pavilion - a venue "floating" on top of the Central Foyer, designed to hold a full orchestra of 150 and choir of up to 250 plus small audience.
- A new 'liner' building along Waterloo Bridge, including a national literature centre and two restaurants.
- New venues for gigs and dance performances in the undercrofts - the spaces underneath the complex.
- general refurbishment work
- improved disabled access
More top news
Parker Dairies moves home after 120 years on Wood Street in Walthamstow
Pupils at many of the capital's schools and nurseries breathe toxic air which can permanently damage health
Squatters shacked up in a grand building metres away from Buckingham Palace have been evicted in an early morning "stealth mode" operation