The project includes:
- A new Central Foyer - a glazed atrium that will cover the space between the Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room, and the Hayward Gallery.
- A new Glass Pavilion - a venue "floating" on top of the Central Foyer, designed to hold a full orchestra of 150 and choir of up to 250 plus small audience.
- A new 'liner' building along Waterloo Bridge, including a national literature centre and two restaurants.
- New venues for gigs and dance performances in the undercrofts - the spaces underneath the complex.
- general refurbishment work
- improved disabled access
More top news
The jury is still deliberating on a charge against Imran of preparing terrorist acts abroad.
A £2bn scheme to build thousands of new council homes was today scrapped after a bitter feud between rival factions in the Labour party.
Detectives investigating the Grenfell Tower Fire have carried out three interviews under caution.