The project includes:
- A new Central Foyer - a glazed atrium that will cover the space between the Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room, and the Hayward Gallery.
- A new Glass Pavilion - a venue "floating" on top of the Central Foyer, designed to hold a full orchestra of 150 and choir of up to 250 plus small audience.
- A new 'liner' building along Waterloo Bridge, including a national literature centre and two restaurants.
- New venues for gigs and dance performances in the undercrofts - the spaces underneath the complex.
- general refurbishment work
- improved disabled access
More top news
A Grenfell survivor told an inquiry it is a "slap in the face" for firefighters to suggest they would change nothing about their actions.
Rail Minister Jo Johnson has been urged to back the extension of Oyster and contactless payments to Luton, Stansted and Southend airports.
The website used to take a 5% charge on donations which it says it uses for developing new fundraising technology.