The project includes:
- A new Central Foyer - a glazed atrium that will cover the space between the Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room, and the Hayward Gallery.
- A new Glass Pavilion - a venue "floating" on top of the Central Foyer, designed to hold a full orchestra of 150 and choir of up to 250 plus small audience.
- A new 'liner' building along Waterloo Bridge, including a national literature centre and two restaurants.
- New venues for gigs and dance performances in the undercrofts - the spaces underneath the complex.
- general refurbishment work
- improved disabled access
More top news
Detectives have launched a hate crime investigation after a man threw a sausage at Finsbury Park Mosque.
A man has been jailed for six years after being caught by police when they discovered homemade explosive devices at his address in Rainham.
According to a recent report young carers aged 5-8 are amongst the most hidden and least supported group of unpaid carers in the UK.