The project includes:
- A new Central Foyer - a glazed atrium that will cover the space between the Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room, and the Hayward Gallery.
- A new Glass Pavilion - a venue "floating" on top of the Central Foyer, designed to hold a full orchestra of 150 and choir of up to 250 plus small audience.
- A new 'liner' building along Waterloo Bridge, including a national literature centre and two restaurants.
- New venues for gigs and dance performances in the undercrofts - the spaces underneath the complex.
- general refurbishment work
- improved disabled access
More top news
The move comes amid a motion of no confidence that was tabled against Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn.
Detectives investigating an assault in Newham have released CCTV footage in a bid to identify the two suspects who attacked a 23-year-old.
Concern is growing for the welfare of a 28-year-old woman who has not been seen for more than two weeks.