The project includes:
- A new Central Foyer - a glazed atrium that will cover the space between the Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room, and the Hayward Gallery.
- A new Glass Pavilion - a venue "floating" on top of the Central Foyer, designed to hold a full orchestra of 150 and choir of up to 250 plus small audience.
- A new 'liner' building along Waterloo Bridge, including a national literature centre and two restaurants.
- New venues for gigs and dance performances in the undercrofts - the spaces underneath the complex.
- general refurbishment work
- improved disabled access
More top news
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will send their two-year-old daughter to Willcocks Nursery School, near their home at Kensington Palace.
The Queen approved the nomination to succeed the Rt Rev Richard Chartres in the Church's third most senior position.
A former health and safety chief said building regulations are confusing and the profession suffers from competence issues.