The project includes:
- A new Central Foyer - a glazed atrium that will cover the space between the Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room, and the Hayward Gallery.
- A new Glass Pavilion - a venue "floating" on top of the Central Foyer, designed to hold a full orchestra of 150 and choir of up to 250 plus small audience.
- A new 'liner' building along Waterloo Bridge, including a national literature centre and two restaurants.
- New venues for gigs and dance performances in the undercrofts - the spaces underneath the complex.
- general refurbishment work
- improved disabled access
More top news
The capital's theatres also generate more searches than those in any other city, according to research by Google.
Union officials are expected to meet next week to plan further stoppages if talks fail to resolve the dispute.
Natalie Sharp and Christine Bicknell appeared in court over an alleged incident at a Lidl superstore in Wallington, south London.