The project includes:
- A new Central Foyer - a glazed atrium that will cover the space between the Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room, and the Hayward Gallery.
- A new Glass Pavilion - a venue "floating" on top of the Central Foyer, designed to hold a full orchestra of 150 and choir of up to 250 plus small audience.
- A new 'liner' building along Waterloo Bridge, including a national literature centre and two restaurants.
- New venues for gigs and dance performances in the undercrofts - the spaces underneath the complex.
- general refurbishment work
- improved disabled access
More top news
The installation is the first in London by acclaimed British underwater sculptor Jason deCaires Taylor, part of the Thames festival.
Services through Kempton Park were suspended over the weekend due to an "obstruction on the line".
A leading sexual health clinic has apologised after mistakenly sharing the HIV positive status of hundreds of patients in an email.