The project includes:
- A new Central Foyer - a glazed atrium that will cover the space between the Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room, and the Hayward Gallery.
- A new Glass Pavilion - a venue "floating" on top of the Central Foyer, designed to hold a full orchestra of 150 and choir of up to 250 plus small audience.
- A new 'liner' building along Waterloo Bridge, including a national literature centre and two restaurants.
- New venues for gigs and dance performances in the undercrofts - the spaces underneath the complex.
- general refurbishment work
- improved disabled access
More top news
A police officer who spent six days crawling the London Marathon in a gorilla costume has finally completed the 26-mile route.
The victim of a "violent and sustained attack" on the top deck of a London bus has been named as Archie Sheppard.
Transport for London has made the badges and accompanying cards permanently available after a successful trial in autumn last year.