The project includes:
- A new Central Foyer - a glazed atrium that will cover the space between the Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room, and the Hayward Gallery.
- A new Glass Pavilion - a venue "floating" on top of the Central Foyer, designed to hold a full orchestra of 150 and choir of up to 250 plus small audience.
- A new 'liner' building along Waterloo Bridge, including a national literature centre and two restaurants.
- New venues for gigs and dance performances in the undercrofts - the spaces underneath the complex.
- general refurbishment work
- improved disabled access
More top news
The head of an international drug gang, which hid cocaine in children's presents, has been jailed for 15 years.
It's being called London's first modern contemporary art walk. And it begins today.
Police are attempting to find a vulnerable missing 16-year-old girl who is feared to be with a 51-year-old man.