The project includes:
- A new Central Foyer - a glazed atrium that will cover the space between the Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room, and the Hayward Gallery.
- A new Glass Pavilion - a venue "floating" on top of the Central Foyer, designed to hold a full orchestra of 150 and choir of up to 250 plus small audience.
- A new 'liner' building along Waterloo Bridge, including a national literature centre and two restaurants.
- New venues for gigs and dance performances in the undercrofts - the spaces underneath the complex.
- general refurbishment work
- improved disabled access
More top news
Model Rosie Nelson writes for ITV News, revealing why she is calling for MPs to pass a new law protecting models from becoming too skinny.
Amid calls for new laws to regulate the size of models, we look at how the face of fashion has changed over the past 60 years.
Amid calls for new laws to prevent models getting too thin, ITV News speaks to three women in the fashion industry to get their views.