The project includes:
- A new Central Foyer - a glazed atrium that will cover the space between the Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room, and the Hayward Gallery.
- A new Glass Pavilion - a venue "floating" on top of the Central Foyer, designed to hold a full orchestra of 150 and choir of up to 250 plus small audience.
- A new 'liner' building along Waterloo Bridge, including a national literature centre and two restaurants.
- New venues for gigs and dance performances in the undercrofts - the spaces underneath the complex.
- general refurbishment work
- improved disabled access
More top news
Members of the RMT union will walk out in a row over the role of conductors, causing fresh misery for hundreds of thousands of passengers.
The five year long jail sentence of a London mother held in an Iranian jail has been upheld.
Barnet police are investigating four separate anti-semitic offences in the last two days