The project includes:
- A new Central Foyer - a glazed atrium that will cover the space between the Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room, and the Hayward Gallery.
- A new Glass Pavilion - a venue "floating" on top of the Central Foyer, designed to hold a full orchestra of 150 and choir of up to 250 plus small audience.
- A new 'liner' building along Waterloo Bridge, including a national literature centre and two restaurants.
- New venues for gigs and dance performances in the undercrofts - the spaces underneath the complex.
- general refurbishment work
- improved disabled access
More top news
A 42 year-old man from Thornton Heath has been jailed for ten years after carrying out a series of attacks on women in the City of London.
A new mansion on The Bishops Avenue in Hampstead has been bought for £33.7m.
London's mayor has launched a campaign to inform Londoners about tips to cope with air pollution.