The project includes:
- A new Central Foyer - a glazed atrium that will cover the space between the Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room, and the Hayward Gallery.
- A new Glass Pavilion - a venue "floating" on top of the Central Foyer, designed to hold a full orchestra of 150 and choir of up to 250 plus small audience.
- A new 'liner' building along Waterloo Bridge, including a national literature centre and two restaurants.
- New venues for gigs and dance performances in the undercrofts - the spaces underneath the complex.
- general refurbishment work
- improved disabled access
More top news
The problem has meant that no trains are able to run through Gatwick Airport rail station in West Sussex.
Schoolchildren found Eragon wearing a Christmas jumper in the bag filled with dog food, treats and a tear-jerking note, in a church.
Staff in the banking and finance sector said they expect their annual reward to rise by an average of 21%.