Richard Rees, a 62-year-old pensioner who works in the community, said:
"When I got here the flames were going. The fire services arrived very quickly and did a fantastic job. All staff got out very quick and professional, they got out safe...It's a listed building, it was one of the very few treasured buildings in the community. It took a long time to get it listed and it is a very sad day for us.Parts of it are Grade I listed and parts Grade II. It is Victorian and was the old town hall before the big boroughs were set up. It is one of three in the borough which the council has been trying to sell off"
More top news
A comedian who fell asleep in an Uber car got a shock when the journey that should have taken minutes ended up as a 35-mile detour.
The Smile singer was pictured appearing to be carried out of the London carnival - but later tweeted she was fine and "just a lightweight".
Sadiq Khan says he wants a "common sense solution" to keep Fabric nightclub open, after the drug-related deaths of two teenage boys.