London Borough Councils have seized hundreds of council properties back after discovering some were being illegally sublet or occupied by fraudsters.
ITV News London contacted each London Borough Council to find how widespread the problem is. Below are the Borough Councils that submitted data to us.
- Bexley has no council properties but has 10,739 people on the waiting list
- Bromley has no council properties but has 2483 people on the waiting list and 157 evictions
- Camden has 25,000 council properties and 25,000 people on the waiting list. 581 evictions.
- City of London, 1,889 council properties and 1,187 people on the waiting list. 2 evictions
- Croydon, 13,925 council properties, 10617 people on the waiting list. 26 evictions
- Ealing, 12,893 properties, 11,995 people on waiting list, no evictions
- Enfield, 11,561 properties, 7068 people on waiting list, 70 evictions
- Harrow, 4951 properties, 4015 people on waiting list, 78 evictions
- Havering, 9,000 properties, 13,046 on waiting list, 39 evictions
More top news
Londoners who have received new electronic gadgets for Christmas are being advised to take simple steps to protect them from thieves.
The Boxing Day sales got off to a flying start with shops reporting a surge in business during the first hour of trading.
Bus strikes are planned for Monday 29 December and Monday 5 January.