Key findings from the Hotels.com report (covering period from Jan-June 2013):
- Global hotel prices rose by 2%, approaching levels not seen since before the financial crisis hit in 2006.
- Growth in Europe, the Pacific and the Middle East was sluggish, registering a rise of 1%, which lagged behind the global average.
- Rises seen in Latin America, North America and the Caribbean exceeded the global average.
- Prices in Asia fell by 2% due to depreciating in value of the Yen/Rupee and a fall in inbound visitors to China.
- Prices in Rio de Janeiro fell by 1%, but remains third most expensive destination in the report.
More top news
As Britain basked in the hottest day of the year (so far), the Met Office sent a warning which took us all by surprise.
James Davis, Laurence Halsted and Richard Kruse make up the squad. Marcus Mepstead is named as the team reserve.
After this morning's fire at Vauxhall 4 of the 8 lines are still closed which means South West Trains is running a limited service.