Advertisement

Grief over teen diet pill death

The heartbroken parents of a fit, healthy and bright teenager who died after taking a toxic quick-fix diet pill said they were "incredulous" that it is so easily available at the click of a button without any legal comeback.

View all 4 updates ›

Parents 'unaware' healthy son was taking diet pills

Chris's father, David Mapletoft, said he had no idea his son was taking the pills. He said: "He was already slim, muscular and well built. We just think this was (for him) just another pound or two coming away from the midriff and then he would look fantastic on the beach.

"It is all speculation. We don't 100% know that because we have no idea what he was thinking. I can't think of another reason."

Chris Mapletoft who died after taking 2,4-dinitrophenol Credit: PA Wire

More top news