Teenager dies after taking toxic 'quick-fix' diet pill

The parents of a healthy, bright teenager who died after taking a toxic diet pill said they were "incredulous" that it is so easily available at the click of a button without any legal comeback.

18-year-old Chris Mapletoft, from Twickenham
18-year-old Chris Mapletoft, from Twickenham Credit: PA Wire

18-year-old Chris Mapletoft died after taking 2,4-dinitrophenol, known as DNP. It is a chemical used in pesticides but sold online as a quick-fix diet aid.

Advertisement

Grief over teen diet pill death

The heartbroken parents of a fit, healthy and bright teenager who died after taking a toxic quick-fix diet pill said they were "incredulous" that it is so easily available at the click of a button without any legal comeback.