If the changes go ahead it could mean:
- Less noise for residents as aircraft climb higher and more quickly on take-off
- Planes would also stay higher for longer when landing
- Changes could reduce the need for so much stacking - where planes circle while waiting for a landing slot
- They could also put more routes over the sea where possible
- It could also mean fewer aircraft CO2 emissions and fuel savings for airlines
More top news
Anti-fox hunting campaigners marched from on Downing Street to oppose controversial promise to hold a vote to repeal the Hunting Act.
Thousands of drivers were caught illegally using their mobile phones on London's roads following a major crackdown.
A motorcyclist is fighting for his life in hospital after a crash with a car in Kensington.