If the changes go ahead it could mean:
- Less noise for residents as aircraft climb higher and more quickly on take-off
- Planes would also stay higher for longer when landing
- Changes could reduce the need for so much stacking - where planes circle while waiting for a landing slot
- They could also put more routes over the sea where possible
- It could also mean fewer aircraft CO2 emissions and fuel savings for airlines
More top news
Two police officers helping to guard diplomats have been sacked for sharing pornographic images on their mobile phones.
A 32-year old man from Hampton has been jailed for five years historic sexual assaults in the late 1990s.
A teenager who was mistakenly released from prison after he was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder has been detained by police.