If the changes go ahead it could mean:
- Less noise for residents as aircraft climb higher and more quickly on take-off
- Planes would also stay higher for longer when landing
- Changes could reduce the need for so much stacking - where planes circle while waiting for a landing slot
- They could also put more routes over the sea where possible
- It could also mean fewer aircraft CO2 emissions and fuel savings for airlines
More top news
People took to the streets of Brixton today to march against what they see as the gentrification of the area.
A mother has issued an appeal for information after her "quiet" son who had a "lovely smile" was found dead in the Thames.
A man has been sentenced after his 61-year-old landlady was found on the floor covered in a duvet by paramedics.