If the changes go ahead it could mean:
- Less noise for residents as aircraft climb higher and more quickly on take-off
- Planes would also stay higher for longer when landing
- Changes could reduce the need for so much stacking - where planes circle while waiting for a landing slot
- They could also put more routes over the sea where possible
- It could also mean fewer aircraft CO2 emissions and fuel savings for airlines
More top news
Prince Harry's Invictus Games is hailed a success as it closes with star performances from the Kaiser Chiefs, Ellie Goulding and Diversity.
Levi Roots from Brixton is the UK's richest reality star and Leone Lewis also makes the Top 10, but how did other Londoners fare?
The mayor is expected to be joined by his wife when he asks local Conservatives to choose him as their candidate in the general election.