If the changes go ahead it could mean:
- Less noise for residents as aircraft climb higher and more quickly on take-off
- Planes would also stay higher for longer when landing
- Changes could reduce the need for so much stacking - where planes circle while waiting for a landing slot
- They could also put more routes over the sea where possible
- It could also mean fewer aircraft CO2 emissions and fuel savings for airlines
More top news
You'll recognise Canary Wharf and the London skyline – minus the Shard, Gherkin and O2 arena.
Dry with clear spells tonight. Lows of 6°C
A cordon was put in place by emergency crews at the height of this morning's rush hour.