Key symptoms are:
- a persistent feeling of sadness and low mood
- loss of interest in the world around you and no longer enjoying things that used to give pleasure
- lack of energy and feeling tired all the time
Other symptoms can include:
- disturbed sleep, such as not being able to fall asleep during the night and then being sleepy during the day
- difficulties with concentration and making decisions
- low self-confidence
- poor appetite or an increase in appetite/"comfort eating"
- feeling very agitated or alternatively very apathetic
More top news
Police are hunting a man who is suspected of grabbing an 11-year-old girl who only got away by biting her attacker's hand.
A woman and man have been charged with murder after a baby was found unresponsive on a bus.
Rebecca Casserly was on her way to buy a coffee in north London when her phone was suddenly snatch from her hand by a man riding a bike.