Key symptoms are:
- a persistent feeling of sadness and low mood
- loss of interest in the world around you and no longer enjoying things that used to give pleasure
- lack of energy and feeling tired all the time
Other symptoms can include:
- disturbed sleep, such as not being able to fall asleep during the night and then being sleepy during the day
- difficulties with concentration and making decisions
- low self-confidence
- poor appetite or an increase in appetite/"comfort eating"
- feeling very agitated or alternatively very apathetic
More top news
London singer-songwriter Dua Lipa and Croydon grime artist Stormzy led the charge at the Brit Awards, winning two prizes each.
The awards followed the lead set at the Grammys to show support for the Time's Up movement with artists wearing white roses.
The husband of a British citizen jailed in Iran has delivered letters of support for his wife to the Iranian embassy.