Key symptoms are:
- a persistent feeling of sadness and low mood
- loss of interest in the world around you and no longer enjoying things that used to give pleasure
- lack of energy and feeling tired all the time
Other symptoms can include:
- disturbed sleep, such as not being able to fall asleep during the night and then being sleepy during the day
- difficulties with concentration and making decisions
- low self-confidence
- poor appetite or an increase in appetite/"comfort eating"
- feeling very agitated or alternatively very apathetic
More top news
Teaching assistant Kevin Wilson who brutally attacked his heavily pregnant ex-girlfriend killing his unborn son, has been jailed for life.
The soldier who tripped up a suspected drug dealer running from police has been revealed, as he admitted his military training kicked in.
Richmond Park and Bushy Parks have defended their policy of culling deer twice a year - after complaints from animal rights campaigners.