Key symptoms are:
- a persistent feeling of sadness and low mood
- loss of interest in the world around you and no longer enjoying things that used to give pleasure
- lack of energy and feeling tired all the time
Other symptoms can include:
- disturbed sleep, such as not being able to fall asleep during the night and then being sleepy during the day
- difficulties with concentration and making decisions
- low self-confidence
- poor appetite or an increase in appetite/"comfort eating"
- feeling very agitated or alternatively very apathetic
More top news
Services on major rail routes between London and south west England have been severely disrupted after a person was hit by a train.
The business executive, whose ruthless interviewing technique has won him many fans, is replacing Nick Hewer, who quit after a decade.
Recent opinion polls show Labour within striking distance of capturing the trophy seat of Finchley and Golders Green.