Key symptoms are:
- a persistent feeling of sadness and low mood
- loss of interest in the world around you and no longer enjoying things that used to give pleasure
- lack of energy and feeling tired all the time
Other symptoms can include:
- disturbed sleep, such as not being able to fall asleep during the night and then being sleepy during the day
- difficulties with concentration and making decisions
- low self-confidence
- poor appetite or an increase in appetite/"comfort eating"
- feeling very agitated or alternatively very apathetic
More top news
An ITV News journalist worked as a Deliveroo rider to see what it's like - from induction to cycling through traffic and making deliveries.
Sutton United substitute goalkeeper Wayne Shaw has offered his resignation after eating a pie during a match.
Brixton's tribute to David Bowie will be a gravity-defying structure standing three storeys tall.