Key symptoms are:
- a persistent feeling of sadness and low mood
- loss of interest in the world around you and no longer enjoying things that used to give pleasure
- lack of energy and feeling tired all the time
Other symptoms can include:
- disturbed sleep, such as not being able to fall asleep during the night and then being sleepy during the day
- difficulties with concentration and making decisions
- low self-confidence
- poor appetite or an increase in appetite/"comfort eating"
- feeling very agitated or alternatively very apathetic
More top news
Philip Spence bludgeoned the three sisters from the United Arab Emirates in the four-star Cumberland Hotel - leaving them for dead.
A rare dog has been stolen by a man in Surrey who was pretending to want to buy it.
Two people are dead another person is in hospital after London and the South East was battered by the fallout from Hurricane Gonzalo.