Key symptoms are:
- a persistent feeling of sadness and low mood
- loss of interest in the world around you and no longer enjoying things that used to give pleasure
- lack of energy and feeling tired all the time
Other symptoms can include:
- disturbed sleep, such as not being able to fall asleep during the night and then being sleepy during the day
- difficulties with concentration and making decisions
- low self-confidence
- poor appetite or an increase in appetite/"comfort eating"
- feeling very agitated or alternatively very apathetic
More top news
CCTV and images show man suspected of trying to set the north London mosque alight in alleged Islamophobic hate crime
Detectives investigating a man's body washed up on the shores of the river have arrested a second man on suspicion of murder.
Keepers have the celebrating the arrival of the western lowland gorilla to 22-year-old mother Effie in captivity at the zoo.