Key symptoms are:
- a persistent feeling of sadness and low mood
- loss of interest in the world around you and no longer enjoying things that used to give pleasure
- lack of energy and feeling tired all the time
Other symptoms can include:
- disturbed sleep, such as not being able to fall asleep during the night and then being sleepy during the day
- difficulties with concentration and making decisions
- low self-confidence
- poor appetite or an increase in appetite/"comfort eating"
- feeling very agitated or alternatively very apathetic
More top news
Police in Southwark are appealing to the public for help in finding a teenage girl missing from Bermondsey.
Over 40,000 people picked up their packs to take part in the annual marathon in the capital.
The boyfriend of reality TV star Ferne McCann has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder following an alleged nightclub acid attack.