Key symptoms are:
- a persistent feeling of sadness and low mood
- loss of interest in the world around you and no longer enjoying things that used to give pleasure
- lack of energy and feeling tired all the time
Other symptoms can include:
- disturbed sleep, such as not being able to fall asleep during the night and then being sleepy during the day
- difficulties with concentration and making decisions
- low self-confidence
- poor appetite or an increase in appetite/"comfort eating"
- feeling very agitated or alternatively very apathetic
More top news
Two police officers helping to guard diplomats have been sacked for sharing pornographic images on their mobile phones.
A 32-year old man from Hampton has been jailed for five years historic sexual assaults in the late 1990s.
A teenager who was mistakenly released from prison after he was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder has been detained by police.