Data from the Met Office shows that the following areas saw the strongest wind overnight:
- The Needles, Isle of Wight - 99mph
- Langdon Bay, Kent - 82mph
- Isle of Portland, Dorset - 81mph
These areas saw the heaviest rain:
- Otterbourne, Hampshire - 50mm
- Wych Cross, East Sussex - 45.4mm
- Cardiff, Bute Park, South Glamorgan - 44.8mm
More top news
The 47-year-old man died shortly after 3pm on Tuesday.
Specialist explosive detection dogs searched through the town examining letter boxes and phone booths for signs of potential devices.
Temperatures reached 29.1C in St James's Park, central London.