Data from the Met Office shows that the following areas saw the strongest wind overnight:
- The Needles, Isle of Wight - 99mph
- Langdon Bay, Kent - 82mph
- Isle of Portland, Dorset - 81mph
These areas saw the heaviest rain:
- Otterbourne, Hampshire - 50mm
- Wych Cross, East Sussex - 45.4mm
- Cardiff, Bute Park, South Glamorgan - 44.8mm
More top news
Services on major rail routes between London and south west England have been severely disrupted after a person was hit by a train.
The business executive, whose ruthless interviewing technique has won him many fans, is replacing Nick Hewer, who quit after a decade.
Recent opinion polls show Labour within striking distance of capturing the trophy seat of Finchley and Golders Green.