A pigeon dropping a discarded cigarette down a chimney is among some of the most bizarre causes of fires thisyear, the London Fire Brigade has revealed.
Investigators in the capital studied 2,000 incidents ina bid to highlight the importance of fire safety, and discovered some strange cases.
Among the most unlikely causes of fires were:
- Ateenage boy on his first date sprayed a can of deodorant on himself, theninexplicably lit what remained in the can, causing an explosion.
- Adog hit the controls of a toaster as it leapt on to a worktop to reach food,setting fire to a bag.
- A pigeon dropped a discarded lit cigarette down a chimney, starting a fire in a bird's nest.
- A pair of boxer shorts being used to apply linseed oil to a floor caught fire.
- A fridge freezer caught fire after a mouse got into the back, shorting the electrics.
More top news
A man with no recollection of who he is has been found in London, with police appealing for help to identify him.
London Underground has made a new offer to unions to try and avert next week's tube strike. But will it work? Here's what you need to know
The Metropolitan Police has responded to allegations that they refused to enter the water to rescue a teenager who was drowning