A pigeon dropping a discarded cigarette down a chimney is among some of the most bizarre causes of fires thisyear, the London Fire Brigade has revealed.
Investigators in the capital studied 2,000 incidents ina bid to highlight the importance of fire safety, and discovered some strange cases.
Among the most unlikely causes of fires were:
- Ateenage boy on his first date sprayed a can of deodorant on himself, theninexplicably lit what remained in the can, causing an explosion.
- Adog hit the controls of a toaster as it leapt on to a worktop to reach food,setting fire to a bag.
- A pigeon dropped a discarded lit cigarette down a chimney, starting a fire in a bird's nest.
- A pair of boxer shorts being used to apply linseed oil to a floor caught fire.
- A fridge freezer caught fire after a mouse got into the back, shorting the electrics.
More top news
As Britain basked in the hottest day of the year (so far), the Met Office sent a warning which took us all by surprise.
James Davis, Laurence Halsted and Richard Kruse make up the squad. Marcus Mepstead is named as the team reserve.
After this morning's fire at Vauxhall 4 of the 8 lines are still closed which means South West Trains is running a limited service.