A pigeon dropping a discarded cigarette down a chimney is among some of the most bizarre causes of fires thisyear, the London Fire Brigade has revealed.
Investigators in the capital studied 2,000 incidents ina bid to highlight the importance of fire safety, and discovered some strange cases.
Among the most unlikely causes of fires were:
- Ateenage boy on his first date sprayed a can of deodorant on himself, theninexplicably lit what remained in the can, causing an explosion.
- Adog hit the controls of a toaster as it leapt on to a worktop to reach food,setting fire to a bag.
- A pigeon dropped a discarded lit cigarette down a chimney, starting a fire in a bird's nest.
- A pair of boxer shorts being used to apply linseed oil to a floor caught fire.
- A fridge freezer caught fire after a mouse got into the back, shorting the electrics.
More top news
Hundreds of people do no know when they will be allowed back home after a 'serious incident' was declared in east London.
A Tube and rail strike planned for Wednesday evening could bring the capital to a standstill causing travel chaos for millions of commuters
The only Muslim survivor of the 7/7 terror attack in London has urged the country to stand together against Islamophobia.