A pigeon dropping a discarded cigarette down a chimney is among some of the most bizarre causes of fires thisyear, the London Fire Brigade has revealed.
Investigators in the capital studied 2,000 incidents ina bid to highlight the importance of fire safety, and discovered some strange cases.
Among the most unlikely causes of fires were:
- Ateenage boy on his first date sprayed a can of deodorant on himself, theninexplicably lit what remained in the can, causing an explosion.
- Adog hit the controls of a toaster as it leapt on to a worktop to reach food,setting fire to a bag.
- A pigeon dropped a discarded lit cigarette down a chimney, starting a fire in a bird's nest.
- A pair of boxer shorts being used to apply linseed oil to a floor caught fire.
- A fridge freezer caught fire after a mouse got into the back, shorting the electrics.
More top news
Teaching assistant Kevin Wilson who brutally attacked his heavily pregnant ex-girlfriend killing his unborn son, has been jailed for life.
The soldier who tripped up a suspected drug dealer running from police has been revealed, as he admitted his military training kicked in.
Richmond Park and Bushy Parks have defended their policy of culling deer twice a year - after complaints from animal rights campaigners.