Figures from Rightmove reveal:
- The number of rental property pages people are looking at is up 80% over the past two years
- Rental stock has increased by 20% the past two years
- Around 60% of all stock in London on Rightmove is for rent
- There are more rental properties than for sale properties in London every month
- Prospective tenants are searching on the go: mobile now accounts for around 40% of all page views
- Email enquiries per property are up 50% in the past two years
Luke Hanrahan has been investigating what's behind London's housing shortage and the impact it's having on those who live here.
The mayor believes the economic recovery should force developers to rethink their commitment to social housing.
The jury is still out on the Help to Buy scheme, designed to help people take their first steps on the property ladder.