Parents are being warned to make sure small children don't swallow button batteries found in some toys. Doctors say they can cause serious damage to internal organs.
Wantage and Kidlington firefighters have been called to help a stag that had become trapped when it slipped down a bank into a brook near West Hendred. The large stag had slipped backwards into a cavern that had been formed as a result of a collapsed concrete bridge over the brook. The stag was unable to get back out due to the sheer drop of the bank and the metal rods from the remains of the bridge, across the cavern opening.
Incident Commander Graham Turner said ‘This really was a potentially dangerous incident for the firefighters involved as the frightened stag was trying to force its way out of the cavern, and its large antlers could easily have caused a serious injury. But it was a beautiful animal that was uninjured, so we felt that in spite of the dangers, we had to at least try and release it, if we could. The operation was made more difficult as the stag also had some nylon twine wrapped around its antlers and neck and this had to be cut away to avoid it being strangled once it was released. We worked closely with the RSPCA in order to free the animal without causing it any injury and we are all pleased that he is up and about in time for Christmas in case he is needed to pull a sleigh on the big night!’
Portsmouth Neighbourhood Policing team has spread some Christmas cheer at a city hospital. The St Thomas Neighbourhood Policing team has been visiting children at the Queen Alexandra hospital to deliver some Christmas presents donated by local stores and businesses.
For the past few months the team has been dropping into local shops and asking them to donate some toys or gifts for young people who will be spending their Christmas staying in hospital. The team also visited The Elizabeth Foundation who offer support to preschool children with hearing loss and gave some gifts to children at the centre too.
NPT Sergeant Rob Sutton said: “Our team are really keen to do this every year. We hope that a few gifts will help to make the children's Christmas better. It’s great to see the their faces when we surprise them with gifts. Thank you to all the businesses who donated gifts.”
Zoe Neal, mother of two week old baby Ophelia said: "Thank you to Hampshire Constabulary for the wonderful Christmas gifts. The visit today was a fantastic surprise at such a difficult time for so many. It made such a difference, brightening up the lives of all the children and parents here in QA."
A ten-metre long crater that opened up in the garden of a home in Berkshire, may have been caused by collapsed tunnel.
The site near Pangbourne was a brick works in the 19th century.
The Jenkins family who live in the property, have now been told their insurance company might not pay out. Rachel Hepworth reports:
Pupils at a school in Christchurch have described their shock after being told to stay inside during an incident involving an air rifle. Police say no one at Highcliffe School was harmed and the children were told to remain inside as a precaution, after groundsmen reported being shot at:
Patients say they've been forced to wear hats, scarves and blankets on a hospital ward in Kent after the heating broke down. Reg Hansell, a dialysis patient from Shepherdswell in Kent, told us that up to forty vulnerable patients a day have been putting up with unacceptable cold as they received dialysis treatment at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital. Sarah Saunders spoke to Reg about his experience.
Doctors in the South want parents of small children to make sure they don't swallow button batteries, because they can kill. The tiny batteries are found in some toys meant for older children, musical christmas cards and gadgets like remote controls.
They are perfectly safe products if made by a reputable manufacturer and used correctly, but if they are eaten they could cause a child to choke and within hours begin to burn their internal organs.
Sally Simmonds has more details:
Following an investigation by Thames Valley Police, a man has been given the first Criminal Behaviour Order in the Thames Valley.
Danny Heap, aged 22, of no fixed abode, was given the Criminal Behaviour Order at Newbury Magistrates’ Court today (18/12).
The order bans Heap from entering any licensed premises associated with Pub Watch in Newbury until 17 December 2016.
The order was made after Heap was arrested on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly in Market Place, Newbury, at about 2.45am on 30 November.
Heap was later charged and pleaded guilty to the offence.