There are delays for passengers using South West Trains and CrossCountry rail services because of a fire on a freight train between Basingstoke and Winchester. The line is blocked and fire services are at the scene.
The rail authorities say there are delays of up to 45 minutes on trains. No services are operating between Basingstoke and Winchester.
The following service alterations will apply:
- Buses will replace trains between Basingstoke and Eastleigh / Southampton
- CentralTrains between London Waterloo and Weymouth are being diverted via Havant and will not call at stations between Woking and Eastleigh
- Trains between London Waterloo and Portsmouth Harbour via Eastleigh are only running between Eastleigh and Portsmouth Harbour
- Trains between London Waterloo and Poole are only running between London Waterloo and Basingstoke
- Passengers from London Waterloo for stations beyond and including Southampton Central should travel via Portsmouth Harbour services (changing at Havant)
- CrossCountry services between Basingstoke and Southampton Central may be diverted via Andover
However 'stopping services' between London Waterloo and Basingstoke are able to run normally.
South West Trains and CrossCountry are accepting each other's passengers and both are being accepted on First Great Western services on 'any reasonable routes'.