More than 200 schools, including 42 in the South East, are using CCTV cameras in toilets or changing rooms, figures have revealed.
A total of 825 cameras were located in the toilets or changing rooms of 207 schools across England, Scotland and Wales, showed figures provided by more than 2,000 schools.
Almost one in 10 of the schools which use CCTV said cameras were positioned in such places, while 54 have more than one camera for every 15 students.
Responses from 2,107 secondary schools and academies showed they used 47,806 cameras, including 26,887 inside school buildings. With 1.8 million pupils being taught in these schools, there was an average of one camera for every 38 children.
In all, 90% of schools had CCTV cameras, with an average of 24 cameras in each of the 1,537 secondary schools that responded and 30 cameras in each of the 570 academies.
The estimated number of CCTV cameras in secondary schools and academies across England, Wales and Scotland was now 106,710, Big Brother campaigners said.
– Nick Pickles, Director of Big Brother Watch
This research raises serious questions about the privacy of schoolchildren across Britain, with some schools having one camera for every five pupils and hundreds of schools using cameras in toilets and changing rooms.
The full extent of school surveillance is far higher than we had expected and will come as a shock to many parents. Schools need to come clean about why they are using these cameras and what is happening to the footage. Local authorities also need to be doing far more to reign in excessive surveillance in their areas and ensuring resources are not being diverted from more effective alternatives."
What do you think about CCTV cameras. Is it sensible to safeguard our children's welfare, or is it just plain snooping?
Let us know your views on our Facebook Page
This is the breakdown which shows how many CCTV camera the schools in our region have in bathrooms and/or changing rooms
- Brockhill Park Performing Arts College, Kent - 10
- The Charles Dickens School, Kent - 6
- Sandwich Technology School, Kent - 6
- The Thomas Aveling School, Medway - 4
- Priory School, East Sussex - 6
- Fullbrook School, Surrey - 3
- Collingwood College, Surrey - 3
- The Hastings Academy, East Sussex - 2
- Hassenbrook School Specialist Technology College, Essex - 2
- William Parker Sports College, East Sussex - 1
- Longhill High School, Brighton & Hove - Yes (number unknown)
- Wildern School, Hampshire - 12
- Dorcan Technology College, Swindon - 10
- Hamble Community Sports College, Hampshire - 8
- The Bishop David Brown School, Surrey - 7
- The Ridgeway School & Sixth Form College, Swindon - 6
- The Mountbatten School, Hampshire - 5
- Highcrest Academy, Bucks - 4
- Melksham Oak Community School, Wilts - 4
- Aldworth Science College, Hampshire - 4
- St. Gregory the Great VA Catholic Secondary School, Oxfordshire - 4
- King's School, Hampshire - 4
- Princes Risborough, Bucks - 4
- Testwood Sports College, Hampshire - 4
- Theale Green Community School, West Berks - 4
- The Romsey School, Hampshire - 4
- Guildford County School, Surrey - 4
- Banbury School, Oxfordshire - 4
- Collingwood College, Surrey - 3
- John Hanson Community College, Hampshire - 3
- Easthampstead Park Community School, Bracknell Forest - 2
- King Richard School, Portsmouth - 2
- Mayfield School, Portsmouth - 2
- The Hayling College, Hampshire - 2
- Wood Green School, Oxfordshire - 2
- Denefield School, West Berks - 2
- Glyn School, Surrey - 2
- Rodborough Technology College, Surrey - 2
- Hounsdown School, Hampshire - 2
- Cowplain Community School, Hampshire - 1
- Cairns Hill School, Hampshire - 1
- The Malborough Church of England School, Oxfordshire - 1
Source: Big Brother Watch
VIDEO: Report by Tom Savvides on whether there are too many CCTV cameras in schools.