The road improvement announcement comes at a time when the Government is still reeling from the derailing of their plans for rail services to the north - a huge embarrassment to the Department of Transport.
Today's announcements says the improvements will take place over the next three years. A third stage of projects will be announced next year.
The Highways Agency say these improvements are part of the Government's growth initiative outlined during the Chancellor’s Autumn Statement in November 2011. Funds have been allocated to the Highways Agency to undertake focused improvements to the strategic road network.
Critics question whether this is 'new' money or a restatement of existing funding. In the South East, the schemes outlined include:
- M27 junction 5 improvement, Eastleigh
- M20 junctions 6 to 7 improvement, Maidstone
- A27 Ford Roundabout improvement, Arundel
- A404 Bisham roundabout improvement, Maidenhead
- M27 junction 3 improvement, Southampton
- A34/M3 junction 9 Easton Lane improvement, Winchester
- A3 Ham Barn roundabout improvement
- M3 junction 6 and Black Dam improvement, Basingstoke