1. ITV Report

Railway station death: Full statement

Photo: PA

**British Transport Police (BTP) detectives are appealing for information after a man’s death at Guildford rail station on Saturday night.

The 22-year-old man, from Woking, was with a friend and was involved in an altercation with other men at the station shortly before being fatally injured by a train.**

The incident took place around 11.40pm GMT on Saturday, 30 March.

South East Coast Ambulance Service paramedics attended but sadly the man was pronounced dead at the scene. His family have been notified and his death is being treated as suspicious.

Two 19-year-old men, from Guildford, and a third man, from Cranleigh, were arrested on suspicion of murder in connection with the incident.

The two 19-year-olds were arrested at the scene, while the other man handed himself in at a police station in Guildford later on. All three remain in custody at this time.

Detectives have launched an investigation and are appealing for information about the incident.

Detective Chief Inspector Iain Miller, senior investigating officer, said: “Our thoughts are very much with the man’s family at this acutely difficult time for them. They're trying to come to terms with what has happened and at this stage, quite understandably, they have asked to be left alone to grieve.

“The station was cordoned off until the early hours of Sunday morning while forensic officers conducted a thorough search and my team of detectives are working to establish the full circumstances surrounding the death, which we are currently treating as suspicious.

“Three men were arrested in connection with the incident and they remain in custody being questioned by detectives.

“Clearly the man’s family will have many questions about the circumstances leading up to his death but at this time the full sequence of events is unclear. However, we will do everything we can to shed light on what took place on Saturday night.

“We’ll be making local enquiries, including checking whether the incident was captured by CCTV cameras, but we know that there were a number of other people at the station at the time and want to hear from them. If you were there and have any information, no matter how insignificant it might seem, please get in touch.”

Anyone with information should call British Transport Police on Freefone 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference571 of 30/03/13.