1. ITV Report

Bully jailed for harassment and 'social media blackmail'

Mon Basra Photo: Kent Police

A bully that went on a lengthy harassment campaign against two women and blackmailed one has been jailed.

Mon Basra, 37, of Rochester Crescent in Hoo, was sentenced at Maidstone Crown Court to four-and-a-half years in prison after admitting blackmail, breaching a non-molestation order and two harassment offences.

Basra, who owned a number of businesses in Gravesend, was heard by the court to have engaged in an affair with an employee at one of his businesses, seducing her with meals out and taking her to hotels and apartments that he claimed he owned.

After a month into the relationship, the victim noticed a change in Basra’s behaviour. He would accuse her of cheating if she went on a night out with friends and began bullying and threatening her at work, even saying "I’m going to burn your house down and your car".

The volley of abusive texts continued throughout the relationship, with Basra constantly wanting to know who she was with and accusing the victim of cheating on him.

He then began demanding money, threatening to break her and her mother’s legs if she did not give him £5,000 within 24 hours.

When she did not answer his calls or texts, he threatened to upload intimate pictures of her on a social media site.

She realised he would follow through with his threats when he posted two intimate pictures of her on the site. She begged him to stop the bullying and threats but he laughed at her, telling her that police wouldn’t do anything as it was a civil debt.

Basra was arrested but the victim made a retraction after he contacted her apologising.

The bullying and harassment didn’t stop there. He continued abusing her and threatening to post intimate videos of the two of them and sent a wreath to the victim’s parent’s house with ‘RIP’ on it.

Basra was then arrested again in October last year.

Later that month, he began a relationship with another woman. Again he was controlling, demanding to see the messages on her phone and wanted pictures of where she was to prove she was there. When the victim tried to end the relationship in January he threatened to contact her employer to try and get her the sack and even threatened to burn her house down.

He was arrested by police on January 8.

Det Sgnt Rik Spicer said: "This man was a dangerous individual who went on a lengthy mission to make the lives of his victims a real misery. I'm pleased that we have been able to give them a sense of justice and a reprieve from the continued bullying by Basra.

"I would like to praise the victims in this case for the bravery they have shown in coming forward and then having to relive what happened to them.

"This successful outcome for the victims is the culmination of a thorough investigation by Kent Police and we will continue to use all available tools to support victims in these cases and do our utmost to bring them to justice."