Rail passengers in the Meridian Region will be dealing with line closures, reduced services and buses replacement services on a number of routes over Christmas and the new year period.
The disruptions, due to essential engineering work, include the axing of all Gatwick Express services from Christmas Day to the end of New Year's Day. Some mainline services to Heathrow Airport will also be affected.
The cancellations on the Gatwick Express, which runs from London's Victoria station to Gatwick Airport in West Sussex, are due to a major tranche of engineering work being carried out at Gatwick station, at Victoria and between Redhill and Purley in Surrey.
This extensive work will also affect services operated by the First Capital Connect (FCC), First Great Western (FGW) and Southern train companies Certain trains will not run over the festive period, with bus replacement services operating on some routes.
- Engineering work is taking place between Paddington station in London and Slough in Berkshire from December 27 to January 3.
- FGW passengers will also have to put up with engineering work between Oxford and Hanborough from December 27 to 29, while FGW services and those run by the CrossCountry are being disrupted by engineering work between Reading and Basingstoke from December 27 to 30.
- FGW passengers will have to use buses instead of trains between Maidenhead and Marlow from December 27 to 29 due to engineering work, while FGW services will also be disrupted from December 29 to January 3 by engineering work between Reading and Didcot Parkway.
- A major £19 million upgrade at Gravesend station in Kent will mean the Southeastern company will not be able to run any trains from or through Gravesend between December 22 and January 5. Buses will replace the Gravesend trains.
- The Gravesend work will also affect Southeastern's high-speed services.
There is however some good news for those in the South:
- The Chiltern train company will for the first time be running some services on Boxing Day. Its trains will operate for around 12 hours, with the first train northbound from London to Bicester North at 8.15am and the last to Princes Risborough at 6.45pm.
- Southbound, the first train will run from High Wycombe to Marylebone station in London at 8.29am and the last will run from Bicester North to Marylebone at 6.57pm.