Medway's Trading Standards have released their 'Top 10 Tips' to help prevent people getting ripped-off by rogue traders trying to help in the aftermath of the recent floods.
Residents are being asked to remain vigilant as cowboys could try to con householders into having unnecessary work done.
Their Top 10 Tips are:
- Always speak to your insurance company before allowing anyone to carry out work
- Never do business with cold callers offering repairs
- Always use a reputable company recommended to you or is on an approved trader scheme
- Never agree to have work done by someone who claims they can see a problem with your property. You can always call a reputable trader to check if there really is a problem
- Don't be taken in by offers of a bargain. If you do want work doing on your home, get quotes from at least three companies
- If in doubt, don't let sales people into your home. Say "no thank you" and close the door
- Don't be taken in by high pressure selling. Ask for more time if you are not sure. A reputable seller will understand
- Get a receipt with the name, address and phone number of the company on it. Only accept a landline and not a mobile number
- Always read agreements very thoroughly before you sign. Agreements can be checked by Trading Standards and consider paying by credit card for goods and services costing more than £100. The credit card company will give you some additional protection
- Be careful not to sign a document agreeing to a visit under the guise of taking part in a street survey, prize draw or other scam. These may be used to try and take away cancellation rights