Parking attendants in Basingstoke and Deane are being given new powers as part of a crackdown on drivers using disabled blue badges when they aren’t entitled to.
Drivers already risk landing a parking fine for using a blue badge when it has expired, isn’t theirs or has been altered.
But now Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council’s parking enforcement team will be able to hold onto any blue badges that they suspect are being used fraudulently.
The new legislation also makes it an offence for motorists to refuse to hand over their blue badge for inspection when asked.
Misuse of a blue badge includes:
- Being used by someone other than the named person
- Using an expired or altered badge
- Using a badge which has been previously reported as lost or stolen
- Using a copied or counterfeit badge
- Using the badge of someone who has died
- Using a cancelled badge
- Refusing to hand over a badge for inspection