Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Plumber saves family by carrying burning tumble dryer out of flat

Credit: Sevenoaks Chronicle

The girlfriend of a plumber who was confronted with a tumble dryer that had caught fire in his home has spoken of his bravery.

Laura Goldsmith described how her partner, John Smith, 26, had to be treated for burns and smoke inhalation after carrying the burning machine out of the flat they share with their two children.

It happened in Otford Road in Sevenoaks after the couple turnedon the dryer in a bedroom.

But when they went to check on it found that flames were coming from the back of the machine.

Speaking to the Sevenoaks Chronicle, Laura said: "There was almost no damage to the bedroom afterwards - it looked like nothing had happened. But when he took it out, it was like a big ball of fire in his hands, literally."

Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called and had to rescue aneighbour who was unable to escape the block of flats.

The remains of the tumble dryer Credit: Sevenoaks Chronicle

The details emerged after an electrical company warned that a significant number of tumble dryers could pose a fire risk.

The warning affects certain Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda tumbledryers.

Indesit said it had identified a potential concern with twotypes of tumble dryers - the large air vented dryer and the condensing dryer - sold under the brand names of Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda between April 2004 and September 2015.

It said in some rare cases, excess fluff can come into contactwith the heating element in the tumble dryer and present a risk of fire.

Affected customers are being contacted so that their machine canbe repaired but are being told they can still use their appliances as long as they are not left unattended while in operation.