Live updates

Advice to prevent tumble dryer fires

There has been a spate of tumble dryer fires across Oxfordshire Credit: Chelsea Garnham

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service is issuing new advice, following a spate of tumble dryers fires across the country. People are being urged to register their appliances, regularly clean out the fluff, and make sure the vent is always uncovered.

Advertisement

Fire in tumble drier destroys family home

A family escaped after a fire which started in a tumble drier engulfed their home. The blaze broke out just after seven yesterday evening at a house in Field Gardens in Wantage.

Tumble drier fire engulfs family home Credit: Oxford Fire and Rescue Service

Three Fire Engines were sent to the incident as well as specialist support vehicles and an Aerial Ladder Platform from Rewley Road Oxford.

Fire crews went in wearing Breathing Apparatus and using high powered water jets to bring the blaze under control.

Home in Wantage gutted Credit: Oxford Fire and Rescue Service

Thanks to the quick actions of the occupier, the family escaped from the fire safely as they followed our advice and: got out, stayed out and called the Fire Service out. This was a severe fire and the prompt offensive action of the initial fire crews undoubtedly saved the adjoining property. Our crews will be continuing to work throughout the night to bring the incident to a safe conclusion.

– Incident Commander, Station Manager Paul Molloy
Destroyed by tumble drier Credit: Oxford Fire and Rescue Service
Fire fighters at scene Credit: Oxford Fire and Rescue Service

Eager IKEA fans form queue outside new Reading store

Fans of the home furnishings store, IKEA, have started queueing ready for the opening of a new store in Reading.

Queues forming outside the store Credit: ITV Meridian

Shoppers turned out early in order to get the best spot for the traditional tree planting and ribbon cutting.

Some people camped overnight so that they could be at the front of the queue, including Katie Cool and her daughter Ella from Southampton.

Katie and Ella Cool with their tent

The 32,000 square metre store on Pincents Lane, Calcot is expected to create up to 370 new jobs.

IKEA fans pitch tents ahead of new store opening

Fans of IKEA have started pitching their tents in order to secure the best spot at the front of the queue when a new store opens in Reading tomorrow.

Katie and Ella Cool are originally from Wokingham

Campers Katie Cool and her daughter Ella have travelled from Southampton to spend the night outside the store. Katie was also one of the first customers into the Southampton store when it opened.

The pair want to be in prime position for the traditional tree planting and ribbon cutting tomorrow. They're also keen to be the first to experience what the company says are 'a selection of UK and world firsts' inside.

The 32,000 square metre store on Pincents Lane, Calcot will create up to 370 new jobs.

Advertisement

Fire service's warning over exploding e-cigarettes

The public is being urged to buy e-cigarettes from reputable sources Credit: PA

Firefighters are urging people to purchase e-cigarettes from reputable retailers. A woman in Sussex had a lucky escape when her e-cigarette exploded.

Firefighters were called to the flat in Green Lane Close, Arundel, after the occupier was woken by her smoke detector and called 999.

The fire is believed to have started when the e-cigarette, which had been purchased from a market stall without instructions or packaging, was left charging overnight. The device subsequently overheated and exploded, scorching the wall and spraying hot fragments over soft furnishings in the flat.

Thankfully, nobody was injured and the fire was out on arrival.

The lady had a fortunate escape. When the charger exploded the hot components scattered across the room and scorched the lady's soft furnishings. Thankfully, they didn't fully ignite and the smoke detector did its job and alerted her to the danger.

This isn't an isolated incident. Our crews have attended fires involving e-cigarettes before. It's really important to buy any electrical product from a reputable retailer. You may think you are getting a bargain by purchasing it from a market stall but, whilst we all like a bargain, taking a chance on these goods isn’t worth the risk. It could result in a house fire, a life-changing injury or worse.”

– West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service

New IKEA store to open in Reading on Thursday

The new store will open on Thursday Credit: ITV

The long-awaited IKEA store in Reading opens on Thursday.

The 19th store in the UK from the Swedish brand will officially open its doors. Construction began a year ago.

Five rooms have specially been designed with ceilings to give customers more of a homely feel. There's also a ball pit in the kids' play area

Store manager Johanna Heuren says she’s feeling “very emotional” and the team are “very excited.”

Motorhome cinema, tape room and woolly fish star in Open Houses art festival

Throughout the month, art lovers - and snoopers alike - have been taking the chance to visit peoples' homes transformed into galleries.

But it's not just two-up-two-downs starring in Brighton's biggest ever Open Houses art trail.

Andy Dickenson reports and speaks to Tasha McDonnell of the Dreamliner Arts Club, Judy Stevens of Artists Open Houses and Kate Jenkins from Kate's Pantry.

Load more updates