Live updates

Bomb hoax - deliberately designed to disrupt Brighton Pride

Brighton Pride bomb hoax was deliberate Credit: ITV News Meridian

A bomb hoax which forced a major gay pride march to drop its new high profile route was deliberately designed to disrupt the event, Sussex Police said.

Specialist officers carried out a controlled explosion on the "suspect package", discovered on Brighton seafront shortly before the Brighton and Hove Pride parade was due to start.

Organisers had a planned a new "high profile" route for 2015 along the city's popular coastline but after a delay of more than an hour and a half were forced to resort to their former route.

Chief Superintendent Nev Kemp said:

"We believe the item was placed there deliberately and made to look like a suspicious device to disrupt the parade. We have started a criminal investigation.

We were concerned enough to call in the bomb disposal unit, who after making a further assessment, carried out a controlled explosion. The area had been cordoned off and there was no risk to the public.

We want to apologise for any disruption this caused and thank the public and those taking part in the parade for their support and patience while we made the area safe and re-routed the parade. Their co-operation made dealing with this difficult incident easier.

Despite the delay, we hope everyone will enjoy the Pride events across the city."

– Sussex Police

Bomb scare delays the start of Brighton Pride

A bomb scare delayed the start of Brighton Pride by over an hour today. The opening parade had to be re-routed after the discovery of a suspect package on the seafront. It was safely blown up by army bomb disposal experts. Pride is celebrating its 25th anniversary, and organisers say there's a record turnout of around 200,000 people. Malcolm Shaw reports.

Advertisement

  1. National

Migrants rush police cordon at Eurotunnel perimeter fence

Hundreds of migrants have continued to clash with the authorities in their bid to gain access to cross-channel terminals in Calais.

Migrants rushed at a police cordon by a truck route along the perimeter fence of the Eurotunnel site at Coquelles in Calais. Credit: Yui Mok/PA Wire
Nine people have been killed attempting to cross the Channel in the last month. Credit: Yui Mok/PA Wire
Men, women and children, mainly from East African and Arab countries, have continued to attempt to evade authorities. Credit: Yui Mok/PA Wire
  1. National

Police extend Operation Stack as traffic levels grow

Kent Police have extended Operation Stack to cover five junctions of the M20 as heavy freight traffic and disruption at Calais continue to cause delays.

Credit: Kent Police

The motorway closure will now run between junctions 8 and 13, affecting the coastbound traffic.

Tourist and local traffic is being diverted onto the A20 from Junction 8 at Hollingbourne to allow backed-up freight traffic to park on the coastbound carriageway of the M20. Channel Tunnel-bound traffic can then rejoin the M20 at junction 11.

Police had earlier said that the problems were being exacerbated by freight drivers trying to bypass the queues on the M20 by joining the domestic traffic.

  1. National

Migrants make fresh bid to reach Britain from Calais

Hundreds of migrants gathered for a third night along the fence to the freight terminal at Coquelles. Credit: APTN

More migrants attempted to reach Britain from Calais via the Channel Tunnel on Wednesday night, a day after a man was crushed to death under a truck.

Hundreds of migrants, some seemingly as young as 13 or 14, gathered for a third night along the fence to the freight terminal at Coquelles.

Around 15 were seen climbing through a hole in the wire before using clothes to help them jump over the first of two fences.

French police arrived in riot vans and rounded up some of the migrants, while three or four ran towards parked lorries.

Advertisement

  1. National

Calais crisis 'costing Kent economy £1.5 million a day'

Attractions such as Leeds Castle in Kent have suffered because of the crisis. Credit: PA

Delays on both sides of the Channel caused by the Calais crisis are costing the Kent economy around £1.5 million a day, the county council estimates.

This figure includes lost revenue to tourist attractions such as Leeds Castle, but not the cost to other authorities such as the police and highways which implement Operation Stack.

Meanwhile, the UK logistics industry is losing around £750,000 a day because of Operation Stack, according to the Freight Transport Association (FTA).

FTA Deputy Chief Executive James Hookham said: "This is the country’s GDP and export standing still in these horrendous queues caused by the situation in Calais."

The operation has been implemented on 24 of the past 40 days, largely due to problems with migrants in France and ferry strikes.

Load more updates