- 8 updates
Neighbours described a house blown up by a gas explosion was like something out of World War Two. A man in his 90s was rescued from the house on Welch Road in Southsea. But remarkably he wasn't seriously injured. A gas cooker left overnight had caused the explosion. Sion Donovan reports.
A man in his 90s had a lucky escape when a gas blast destroyed his home. He was asleep when the explosion happened on Welch Road in Southsea early this morning. Neighbouring properties were evacuated. Sion Donovan has the story
Crew Manager David Higgins has spoken of his shock that a pensioner could survive a gas explosion which destroyed his home. A man in his 90s was pulled from the rubble after the blast at just before 4 this morning.
A gas distribution company has issued a stark warning after it emerged that an explosion that destroyed a house in Southsea was caused by the cooker being left on.
Following an investigation it has emerged that gas mains and services in the area are sound and have not contributed to the incident.
"We can also confirm the explosion was caused by the gas cooker being left on," said Chloe Boyce, a spokeswoman for Southern Gas Networks.
"We've isolated the gas supply and done further checks which show there are no gas readings at all in the area.
"This is a stark reminder to everyone to check gas appliances are fully turned off before they go to bed or leave their house. If anyone smells gas they should contact the National Gas Emergency Number on 0800 111 999.
"Our thoughts are with the gentleman who has been injured today."
Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service has released these moving pictures of a house on Welch Road in Southsea which was destroyed by a gas explosion. Fire crews lead a man in his 90s to safety following the blast early this morning.
A pensioner is reported to be dazed but uninjured after an explosion at his home in Southsea. Neighbours on Welch Road were evacuated following the blast which occurred in the early hours of this morning.
A man in his nineties had a lucky escape when there was a gas explosion at his home in Hampshire.
It's thought it happened in the kitchen around four this morning.
Neighbouring properties on Welch Road in Southsea were evacuated.
More details to follow.
Latest ITV News reports
A man in his 90s has survived a gas explosion at his home in Southsea.