- 7 updates
VIDEO: Charred remains of a bungalow in Sompting. A man was rescued by neighbours. Andy Dickenson reports.
The aftermath of an explosion which destroyed a property is Sussex has been caught on camera.
Resident Ben Hornbuckle took this picture of the property in Hillrise Avenue, Sompting.
A 54-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of arson after with intent to endanger life after the explosion yesterday afternoon.
Sussex Police are investigating an explosion at a house on Hillrise Avenue in Sompting. It happened at 4.15pm on Thursday 20th September.
A man in his fifties was pulled from the burning property by passers-by. He was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton to be treated for shock.
The incident led to the road being closed at its junction with Hillbarn Avenue. West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service extinguished the fire within an hour. Police are appealing for anyone with information to come forward.
A 52-year-old local man has been arreste don suspicion of committing arson with intent to endanger life.
A 54-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of arson after with intent to endanger life after an explosion at a property in Sompting on Thursday 20th September.
A man in his 50s has been pulled from this house by four members of the public after a suspected gas explosion.
It happened in Hillrise Avenue, Sompting, West Sussex.
A man in his 50s was pulled from a burning building in Sompting by four members of the public who were passing by.
The rescue follows reports of an explosion at a house in Hillrise Avenue, today at 4.15pm.
The man was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton. It is not known what injuries he has at this stage. No one else was injured and no one was evacuated.
The road was closed with the junction of Hillbarn Avenue while West Sussex Fire and Rescue dealt with the fire, which is now out.
Three fire pumps are at the scene.
Firefighters are on the scene of a suspected gas explosion at a home in Sompting.
They were called to Hillrise Avenue at 4.11pm today.
It's reported the home has been severely damaged by fire and the windows have been burnt out.