- 1 update
A man in his thirties is being treated for burns in hospital after accidentally setting himself on fire while lighting a bonfire. Kent Fire & Rescue Service were called to allotments on Stirling Way in Ramsgate at around 6.10pm on Thursday October 4.
The man's injuries are not said to be life threatening.
Kent Fire & Rescue Service have issued some top tips for a safe outdoor fire:
- Never leave a bonfire unattended
- Set well away from houses, garages, sheds, fences, overhead cables, trees and shrubs.
- Before lighting, check that no animals are hiding inside it.
- Build the stack so it's stable and will not collapse outwards or to one side.
- Never use flammable liquids - paraffin or petrol - to light the fire.
- Don't burn foam-filled furniture, aerosols, and tins of paint or bottles.
- Keep children away from the fire.
- Keep a buckets of water or garden hose ready in case of an emergency.
- Once the fire has burnt out, before you leave it pour a bucket of water on the embers.