Man burned by bonfire

Kent Fire & Rescue Service were called to an incident on Thursday October 4 after a man accidentally set himself alight while lighting a bonfire.

Live updates

Man sets himself alight

A man in his thirties is being treated for burns in hospital after accidentally setting himself on fire while lighting a bonfire. Kent Fire & Rescue Service were called to allotments on Stirling Way in Ramsgate at around 6.10pm on Thursday October 4.

The man's injuries are not said to be life threatening.

"We're coming to that time of year when people use bonfires to clear their gardens but we urge them to treat these types of fires with extreme care and follow our safety steps to avoid serious injury or causing an out-of-control fire."

– Ramsgate Crew Manager Neil Roby, Kent Fire & Rescue Service

Kent Fire & Rescue Service have issued some top tips for a safe outdoor fire:

  • Never leave a bonfire unattended
  • Set well away from houses, garages, sheds, fences, overhead cables, trees and shrubs.
  • Before lighting, check that no animals are hiding inside it.
  • Build the stack so it's stable and will not collapse outwards or to one side.
  • Never use flammable liquids - paraffin or petrol - to light the fire.
  • Don't burn foam-filled furniture, aerosols, and tins of paint or bottles.
  • Keep children away from the fire.
  • Keep a buckets of water or garden hose ready in case of an emergency.
  • Once the fire has burnt out, before you leave it pour a bucket of water on the embers.
Back to top