- 7 updates
A firefighter who dealt with a fire at a motorcycle garage behind a row of shops in Southampton has praised the owner of the business for sounding the alert as soon as he knew there was a problem.
The surrounding area of Portswood Road was partially evacuated because of any potential danger from cylinders containing acetylene on the premises. Mark Raven, the station manager for Hampshire Fire & Rescue Service's Hightown fire station in Southampton said the situation is now under control.
Firefighters have today acted quickly to contain and extinguish a car workshop fire on Portswood Road, Southampton.
Over 30 firefighters attended the single-storey building fire and worked hard to contain and extinguish the blaze which contained several cylinders of mixed contents.
The cylinders were removed and cooled by fire service personnel.
Commercial and residential premises that are close to the garage were evacuate by fire crews as a precaution measure.
Station Manager, Mark Ravan, said: "The owner of the garage was quick to inform both the Police and Hampshire Fire of the incident. Crews worked hard to contain the fire and are now in the phase of returning the area back to normal."
Dozens of firefighters are tackling a blaze that has broken out behind a row of shops in Southampton.
Police have closed a section of Portswood Road, between Mayfield Road and Broadlands Road.
Several local businesses have had to be evacuated as firefighters dealt with the blaze.