Dog swallows Christmas lights

A seven-year-old dog is recovering from emergency surgery at home in Southampton after he swallowed Christmas lights.

Live updates

Advertisement

Charlie's owner 'shocked' by his electric appetite

Charlie looking at his next lunch in the PDSA vet surgery in Southampton Credit: PDSA

Charlie's owner Sharon Fay has spoken of her surprise that her dog decided to eat shoe laces and Christmas lights.

She said "I re-homed Charlie about a year ago, so I don’t know whether he used to do this type of thingwhen he was a puppy."

"Back in March he ate one of my scarves and needed an operation to remove it, but I thought it was just a one off incident as he hadn’t shown any signs that he was going to be a repeat offender!"

"I’ve had dogs all my life and have never known a dog act like this before - I’ll certainly be keeping an extra close eye on him from now on and have Charlie-proofed my house now!”

The PDSA's top five Christmas hazards

Charlie with christmas lights in Southampton Credit: PDSA

After Charlie the staffie cross swallowed more than a foot of christmas lights the PDSA has released a list of the top five most dangerous Christmas hazards for pets.

-Swallowing foreign bodies such as toys and decorations.

-Accidental poisoning through chocolate, raisins, artificial sweeteners, peanuts and other nuts, and batteries.

-Gastric torsion – twisted stomach often caused by vigorous exercise after a large meal.

-Hypothermia – low body temperature from exposure to cold weather.

-Accidental injury – pulling over the Christmas tree, slipping on ice, chewing on electric cables, treading on broken baubles.

Charlie's special Christmas feast

Charlie in Southampton Credit: PDSA

Charlie the rescue dog is recovering at home in Southampton after he needed emergency surgery to remove a ball of Christmas fairy lights from his stomach.

His owner Sharon Faye took him to the PDSA Vets in Southampton after noticing bits of electric wire in his faeces.

Vets were able to retrieve a foot long section of christmas lights from Charlie where they also discovered a shoe lace.

The Christmas lights in Charlie's stomach Credit: PDSA
Back to top