- 2 updates
A 43-year-old man from Hastings in Sussex who was questioned by police over two attempted child abductions has been released on bail until February while police make further inquiries.
Hampshire Police are calling on motorists from Sussex to come forward with any information about two attempted child abductions in Havant on 18th and 19th December. The first incident was in Leigh Park, the second in Emsworth.
So far, police have received 45 calls from the public and spoken with 40 motorists. In a statement, Hampshire Police said the arrest and bailing of one man was one of many leads being followed. They said there were other important witnesses they hoped to speak to.
A man has been arrested by Hampshire Police investigating two attempted abductions in Havant. A 43-year-old man from Hastings was arrested on 21st December.
The first attempt was in Leigh Park at 1.50pm on 18th December. A 12-year-old girl was grabbed between Purbrook Way and Middle Park Way.
In a similar incident at about 8.30am on 19th December, a man attempted to grab an 11-year-old boy in Southleigh Road, Emsworth. The boy was about to cross the road when a man left a van and grabbed the boy’s wrist. The boy shouted, screamed and pinched him. The man let go and the boy ran away.
Police have received no other reports of attempted abductions in Havant and Waterlooville since Wednesday morning. They are not linking this investigation to any other suspicious incidents elsewhere.