There are flood warnings in place across the west of the Meridian Region, with a number in the Thames Valley.
Warnings have been issued by the Environment Agency for the River Thames at Marlow and Bisham, Staines and Egham, Sunbury, Goring and Streatley, Sandford and Radley and Abingdon.
There are also warnings in place at Henley, Remenham and Medmenham, and for the River Cherwell in the Oxford area, and for the River Loddon at Twyford, Charvil and Wargrave.
http://t.co/HBHlQZ3U Man taken to hospital after car collision with telegraph pole
Uncorroborated reports of River Rother having broken its banks near Stedham Bridge nr Midhurst. Flood water running off fields to the road.
The Environment Agency has issued the following flood warnings for Christmas night.
- River Bourne at Tidworth and Shipton Bellinger Village Centres
- Middle Avon from Salisbury to Ringwood - Water levels BETWEEN Salisbury and Ringwood continue to rise slowly following the recent rainfall.
- Lower Avon from Ringwood to Christchurch
- Upper Avon from Amesbury to Salisbury
- Lower Stour from Sturminster Marshall to Christchurch - Farms at Sturminster Marshall, Cowgrove, Shops in Wimborne, Mill Street in Corfe Mullen, Bridge House Hotel in Ferndown, Brecon Close, Ringwood Road, Throop Road in Bournemouth, Barrack Road and Willow Way in Christchurch
- Lower Frome from Dorchester to East Stoke - areas in Dorchester, West Stafford, Bockhampton, Lewell, Tincleton, Pallington, Waddock, Moreton, Wool and East Stoke
- Lower Frome from East Stoke to Wareham
These warnings are for Thames Valley, Hampshire, Kent & Sussex.
- Emm Brook including Wokingham
- River Enborne from Gore End down to Aldermaston including the Ecchinswell Brook and the Kingsclere Brook; also the Foudry Brook and its tributaries from Scotsman's Green to Green Park including Stratfield Mortimer and Tadley on the Bishopswood Stream
- Communities at risk of groundwater flooding in the Meon Valley in Hampshire including Soberton, Droxford, Meonstoke, Corhampton, Exton, Warnford, West Meon and East Meon
- Areas at risk of groundwater flooding in Hambledon in Hampshire
- Willingdon, Eastbourne and Mountney Levels and their tributaries
- The River Stour from the A2070 at Conningbrook Manor to Fordwich, including Wye, Godmersham, Shalmsford Street, Chartham, Canterbury and Sturry.
- The River Lavant from East Dean to Shopwhyke and Chichester
- Communities at risk of groundwater flooding to the north of Chichester
The following flood warnings also still stand tonight.
- River Thames and tributaries in the Binsey, Osney and Osney Island areas in Oxford
- River Thames between Newbridge and Kings Lock above Oxford including Northmoor, Stanton Harcourt, Bablock Hythe and caravan park, Eynsham, Swinford and Yarnton.
- River Cherwell from Lower Heyford down to Cherwell Bridge including Rousham, Enslow, Thrupp and Hampton Poyle
- River Thames at Old Windsor including Old Windsor Lock, Straight Road, Church Road, St Luke's Road and Friday Island
- River Windrush at Witney and Ducklington down to and including Hardwick
- River Thames at Purley Village
- The River Medway from Forest Row to Penshurst, including Ashurst.
- Communities at risk of groundwater flooding to the north east of Andover, including Appleshaw, Hatherden, Penton Mewsey, Redenham, Weyhill Bottom, Kimtpon, Amport and Monxton
The Environment Agency has issued the following flood warnings the ITV Meridian region overnight from Christmas Day to Boxing Day.
- River Thames from Cleeve Lock to Child Beale Park, above Pangbourne, including Goring and Streatley
- River Thames and tributaries at Sandford and Radley near Oxford
- River Cherwell at Oxford from Cherwell Bridge to the Thames confluence north of New Hinksey, parts of Summertown, New Marston & Magdalen Bridge
- River Loddon at Twyford, Charvil & Wargrave, Loddon Drive, Berkshire
- River Thames in Abingdon
- River Thames from Henley down to Medmenham, Remenham & Mill End
- River Thames from Days Lock down to South Stoke, incl Dorchester-on-Thames & Overy, Shillingford, Benson, Wallingford, North Stoke & Moulsford
- River Thames at Culham
- River Thames & tributaries at Kennington near Oxford
- River Thames & tributaries at New Botley, New & North Hinksey & Grandpont in Oxford
Motorists are being asked to take extra care driving through surface water. Police are urging them to prepare for their journeys and adapt their driving to meet the conditions.
– Sussex Police spokesperson
Agencies are liaising daily to ensure that appropriate measures are being taken to ensure motorists' safety. However drivers must take personal responsibility when faced with flooded roads. If the road is closed they really shouldn't risk driving through flood water. Not only do they not know what dangers it covers, including the possibility of pot holes, should they get stuck, unless they are at real risk, they will not automatically be assisted by the emergency services.
– Sussex Police spokesperson
Already we have received reports of cars, vans and lorries getting into difficulty driving through surface and flood water, often causing water damage to nearby properties. In wintery conditions motorists need to drive responsibly and be mindful of all hazards including ice, surface water,leaves and mud on the roads.
West Oxfordshire District Council has opened its community sandbag points. Details at http://t.co/tr1QzJE1