Man dies during police pursuit

A man has died during a police pursuit in Reading. The incident happened just before half past eleven last night.

Live updates

Police pursuit death: Victim named

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has confirmed the identity of the man who died as a result of a road traffic collision involving Thames Valley Police officers.

A spokesman said: "Matthew Kenneth Seddon, 19, of Wensley Road, Reading, died following a collision on the A33 at about 11.25pm on Monday, 11 February.

"A post-mortem was carried out on Wednesday, 12 February and an inquest has been opened and adjourned.

"An independent investigation has begun which will establish the circumstances surrounding the collision."

Witnesses are urged to contact IPCC investigators on 0800 096 9078.

Tributes to teenager killed in police pursuit

19-year-old Matt Seddon died during a police pursuit in Reading Credit: RIP Matt Seddon Facebook page

Tributes are being paid to a driver who died during a police pursuit in Reading. The man - named locally as 19-year-old man Matt Seddon - was thrown from his car on the A33 in Reading on Monday night.

Six police vehicles, including an armed response unit, were involved in the incident which is being investigated by the Independent Police Complaints Commission. Click here to see the facebook tribute page.


Driver 'thrown into road and hit by police vehicle'

The Independent Police Complaints Commission is appealing for information following a road traffic incident in which a man died in Reading on Monday.

A red Ford Fiesta was being pursued by police for failing to stop when it collided with the central reservation of the A33.

Six police vehicles, including one dog van and an armed response vehicle, were involved in the incident.

The Fiesta was travelling along the southbound carriageway of the A33, it then performed a u-turn and was travelling in a northbound direction when the collision occurred at around 11.25pm.

The driver, who was the sole occupant of the car, was thrown into the road and hit by at least one of the pursuing police vehicles.

The driver died at the scene.

A post mortem and formal identification are due to take place later today (Wednesday, 13 February).


A33 delays after fatal crash

Credit: ITV News Meridian

Commuters into Reading have reportedly been delayed for up to three hours today, after the A33 was closed. It follows a crash in which a teenager died during a high speed police chase just before 11.30pm last night.

ACTING SUPT HENRY PARSONS, JOINT ROADS POLICING UNIT said **“A 19-year-old man, believed to be from the Fiesta, sadly lost his life in the collision.

“We have referred the incident to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.”

Load more updates Back to top

Latest ITV News reports