Pensioner rescued from fire

An elderly lady has been rescued from a fire in her flat by Hampshire firefighters.

Live updates

"Quick-thinking fire crews and public are to thank"

There is no question the quick thinking of both the member of the public who raised the alarm and the first crews on the scene prevented a more serious situation. The caller's actions allowed us to get to the scene quickly and the crew's decision to act as if there was a person inside the flat meant we were able to rescue the lady before the fire developed any further. This incident again proves the benefit of a working smoke alarm. Without it, the member of the public would not have been aware of the fire inside the lady's flat and we would not have been able to reach her so quickly.

– Station Manager Bruce Gordon, Hampshire Fire and Rescue

It is believed the fire was caused by smoking materials.

Two crews from Cosham and one from Havant used one hose reel to extinguish the fire in the house.

Elderly lady rescued from flat fire

An elderly lady was rescued from a developing fire in her flat thanks to the quick actions of Hampshire firefighters.

A member of the public called 999 after hearing the sound of a smoke alarm coming from the lady's flat on Glenleigh Avenue, Cosham on Friday evening (March 1).

The first crew from Cosham was on the scene within minutes. Having been initially told there was no-one in the flat, the crew was then informed that a lady had recently moved in.

The crew took the decision to force entry and discovered a chair alight in the lounge.

They were able to lift the 60-year-old lady out of the chair and carry her out of the ground-floor flat. She was given first aid treatment by the crews before being handed into the care of South Central Ambulance Service. She suffered severe burns and smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital.

Advertisement

Back to top