Train death after gang dispute

A 22 year-old man has died at Guildford station after he was struck by a train following what police say was "an altercation with a gang."

Live updates

The family of Ryan Harrison released this statement:

“Ryan was the biggest, brightest ray of sunshine for us. He loved life, his family and his friends. He was a brother, son and boyfriend - we were so lucky to have him in our lives. He always looked so smart and gorgeous. He was ambitious in life and loved to party.

“His family have been totally devastated by his loss, and we ask to be left in peace and given time to grieve. He had the biggest, kindest heart, and a bright light has been turned off in all of us that knew and loved him. Rest in peace Ryan, sleep tight our darling.”


  1. London

Police appeal for witnesses

Detective Chief Inspector Iain Miller said: "There were two groups of men who came together at the station as the train arrived. Two people tried to board the train, eight people tried to get off the train. There was a bit of an altercation which spilled onto the platform.

The result of that altercation was that one of the men was punched and fell between the moving train and the platform, that resulted in his death. There were at least eight people involved, other than the two witnesses.

We need more of those people to come forward and anyone else who was at the station or around the station at that time, between 11.40pm and midnight.

We have a lot of CCTV to trawl both on the train and in and around the station. That's being done by officers from British Transport Police.

  1. London

Tributes paid to train death man

Friends have paid tribute to a 22-year-old man who died after he was hit by a train following an altercation at a railway station.

The victim, named locally as Ryan Harrison, from Woking, Surrey, was with a friend at Guildford station at 11.40pm on Saturday when he became involved in the confrontation which involved a number of other men.

Shortly after the altercation, Mr Harrison was fatally injured by a train.

South East Coast Ambulance Service paramedics attended but Mr Harrison was pronounced dead at the scene.

His family have been notified and his death is being treated as suspicious, according to British Transport Police.

Friend Jake Lund wrote on Facebook: "cant believe this has happened to such a nice person, rip Ryan".

Amir Ahmed also wrote on Twitter:


Back to top

Latest ITV News reports