ITV Meridian news in brief

All the news as it breaks in the south, south east and Thames Valley.

Advertisement

Police appeal after sex attack

Police are appealing for information after a sexual assault in a Southampton park in the early hours of Sunday morning.

A 25-year-old woman was walking home through East Park after when she was grabbed by two men who indecently assaulted her.

The victim described them as tall, black, and in their early thirties. One had short hair, the other a short beard.

The victim has told us that she was attacked sometime between midnight and 2am on Sunday morning in a section of the park near the junction of the Charlotte Place roundabout with the Jurys Inn on it and Brunswick Place.

I would like to hear from anyone who was in the area between those times and thinks they saw anything suspicious to contact us.

I understand that reports of incidents like this can cause people to worry about their personal safety; I would reiterate our usual advice to people travelling home from a night out which is to use a licensed taxi for their journey or to walk home with friends and keep to well lit areas.

– Det Insp Phil Scrase

Anyone with any information is asked to call Det Insp Scrase at Southampton Central police station on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Driver charged over cyclist death

Police investigating the death of a cyclist in a road traffic collision in Southampton have charged a driver.

Steven Petterson, 38, of Waterhouse Lane, Southampton, was charged with causing death by driving without due care and attention.

He was bailed to appear at Southampton Magistrates Court on June 7th.

On December 17th last year, the Ford Transit minibus he was driving was in collision with a bicycle on Mountbatten Way.

The cyclist, 48-year-old David Irving from Wimbourne, died as a result of his injuries.

The driver of a Mercedes Coupe, a 56-year-old man from Fordingbridge, also arrested at the time, was released with no further action.

National

Suarez ban 'significantly higher' than Brighton player

The FA said it compared the Suarez incident to two cases which may have required bans longer than three games.

  • January 2013: Chelsea's Eden Hazard kicking a ball boy (did not require longer ban)
  • March 2013: Brighton's Ashley Barnes tripping a referee (required six-match suspension)

It said it could not compare the incident to a 2006 incident involving Manchester City's Ben Thatcher and Portsmouth's Pedro Mendes because the latter was "serious foul play" while Suarez's bite constituted "violent conduct."

As a result, the FA said, the length of Suarez's ban had to be proportional to the six-game ban given to Brighton's Ashley Barnes:

(83) Taking these factors into account on the circumstances of the incident, we concluded that this offence is significantly more serious than that of Ashley Barnes’ and, accordingly, the punishment should be significantly higher.

– FA statement

Advertisement

Missing woman found in Winchester

Joanna McQuillan, 39, reported missing by her family in Bartley, was found in a Winchester restaurant on Tuesday morning, police say.

She was located after several reported sightings. Her family has been informed.

Det Insp Ellie Hurd said: “The police are indebted to the media and the public for their terrific response.”

Sussex students meet to discuss Guantanamo Bay prisoner

Lewes schoolchildren meet with Foreign Minister Alistair Burt and MP Norman Baker at Parliament. Credit: Spectacle

Students from Priory School Amnesty Group in Lewes have met with Foreign Minister Alistair Burt to discuss the fate of Guantanamo Bay prisoner Shaker Aamer.

Aamer is the last British resident left in the US detention facility. The schoolchildren presented their request for the prisoner, who has never been charged, to be returned to the UK.

Lewes MP Norman Baker was also present in the meeting. Shaker Aamer has been held at the camp since 2002.

Lewes schoolchildren meet with Foreign Minister Alistair Burt and MP Norman Baker at Parliament. Credit: Spectacle

Rolls Royce commemorates death of founder

A statue of Henry Royce, co-founder of Rolls Royce Credit: PA

Sussex-based Rolls Royce is commemorating 80 years since the death of one of the company’s founders, Sir Frederick Henry Royce, today.

Sir Henry died, aged 70, at his house "Elmstead" in West Wittering, West Sussex, on April 22 1933.

The house is less than ten miles from the current home of Rolls Royce at Goodwood.

Speaking from a special memorial service held outside Elmstead, Andrew Ball, communications manager, said: "Sir Henry was a modest genius who referred to himself simply as a 'mechanic'.

"He had a simple engineering philosophy – the pursuit of excellence – and one that the whole team at Rolls-Royce Motor Cars strives for every day. Today we commemorate the death of Sir Henry but also celebrate an extraordinary life and a lasting legacy.”

Load more updates