Brighton bin strike suspended

Refuse collectors in Brighton have suspended their strike over pay.

Live updates

Brighton strike action suspended

A bin strike which led to rubbish bags piling up on the streets of Brighton has been suspended.

Hundreds of members of the GMB union at Brighton and Hove council walked out last week in a row over pay, but a new offer is now being put to workers.

The GMB said industrial action had been suspended for 28 days so workers could be consulted on a new offer.

Mark Turner, the GMB's branch secretary, said:

"We have made significant progress over recent days. The proposal significantly reduces or in some cases eliminates the losses for individual staff members which arose under the previous offer, although there are still some areas that must be addressed."

Rubbish 'clear up in progress'

An agreement has been reached on a set of service redesign proposals that meet our criteria.

The council is about half way through the consultation on an allowances system for staff across the council which is fair, consistent and affordable and to this end we are continuing to talk to both our unions.

Due to the scale of the disruption it will take some time to clear the backlog. We would ask that residents bear with us. We will be providing regular updates as the clear up progresses.

– Brighton and Hove Council statement

Advertisement

Bin strike suspended

The strike by refuse workers in Brighton has been suspended after an offer was made by the Council, it's been confirmed. The GMB union say there will be no strike in the next 28 days whilst a consultation on the new proposal is considered.

'Enough is enough' Conservatives on bin strike

Conservative councillors are calling on their Green counterparts at Brighton and Hove City Council to clear rubbish from the city’s streets before it becomes "a serious health and safety risk for residents and visitors".

They believe "strike busters" should be employed to empty bins as the temperatures soar, although the GMB union says such action could be illegal.

Talks are ongoing by both the union and the council, though a second strike has now been announced for next Monday.

The dispute centres over plans to streamline workers allowances which could leave some workers, such as carers, with higher wages while street cleaners could lose up to £4,000.

We have been urging the GMB to keep talking to the Council and to be constructive and realistic in their negotiations but with apparently no progress being made we say enough is enough.

The health and safety of residents must come first and the Council has legal obligations to ensure that this is the case.

There were several fires in the city yesterday and there have been many rat sightings by residents. My fear is that if things carry on as they are, it is only a matter of time before a serious incident occurs.

– Conservative Group Leader, Cllr Geoffrey Theobald

Second Brighton bin strike could last another five days

Litter piling up today in Brighton. Credit: Andy Dickenson

The bin strike in Brighton and Hove is set to escalate after rubbish collectors called another strike for next Monday.

The GMB union is already five days into an official walkout, following a dispute with the council over cuts to allowances.

Members of their union are in talks with the council this afternoon after the two parties spent yesterday trying to broker a deal.

When last night's talks ended, the council's chief executive Penny Thompson said: "I know the mess and rubbish is building up across the city and I'm truly sorry we are in this situation.

"I would like to reassure residents we are doing all we can to swiftly find an agreed resolution. It is vital that we have an allowances system which is fair and consistent for staff across the council."

The current strike ends on Thursday with refuse workers due back at work for the first time on Friday. They could then walk out for for another five days from Monday.

BREAKING NEWS: Second bin strike for Brighton

The city of Brighton and Hove could face a second bin strike within the space of two weeks.

Talks between the GMB Union and the council broke down last night in the ongoing dispute over councillors' plans to streamline it's allowances system.

Today is the fifth day of refuse workers' current strike. It's now believed they will walk out again, after briefly returning to work over the weekend, on Monday.

Advertisement

Brighton & Hove City Council apologises to residents for strike disruption

A week-long strike by Brighton and Hove's refuse collectors continues. Binmen held a demonstration through the city streets on Saturday. The industrial action is over a change to allowances which coud see some workers pay cut by thousands of pounds.

The City Council and union officials are due to meet later today.

Brighton & Hove City Council has apologised to residents for the disruption and has advised people to take their rubbish to recycling centres.

Binmen take to the streets in pay cut row

Hundreds of refuse collectors have marched through the streets of Brighton and Hove this afternoon on the second day of a planned week long strike.

The industrial action follows a dispute with the council over changes to its allowances system that could see some workers lose thousands of pounds in pay. The interviewee in Andy Dickenson's report is Carey Duckhouse from the Brighton Sea Life Centre.

Bin strike: 'Brighton will soon resemble bomb site'

'Brighton and Hove will soon resemble a bomb site'. The warning, tonight, from a senior union official - as the city's binmen and street cleaners began a one-week strike over pay cuts.

The action has been attacked as irresponsible by council bosses. They fear rising levels of uncollected rubbish will create a fire hazard - just as the busy tourist season is getting underway. Andy Dickenson reports.

Rubbish in Brighton set to overflow again

Bin crews on strike from today Credit: Meridian

Refuse collectors in Brighton are starting a week-long strike in a row over pay. The GMB union claims that staff face cuts of up to £4,000 a year. But the council says changes to staff terms are being driven by a need for a 'fair, consistent and transparent' pay and allowances system.

Load more updates Back to top