IPCC investigate party death

The police watchdog is investigating the death of a 21-year-old man who died after being restrained by officers called to a bust-up at a house party in Kent.

Live updates

Investigation into Kent man's death 'progressing well'

An investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission in to the death of Sean Wilkes is progressing well and investigators have spoken to a number of witnesses.

The 21-year-old had been at a house party on 6 July, when Kent Police officers responded to a disturbance in Richmond Street.

Two police officers initially arrived at the scene and took over restraining Mr Wilkes from members of the public. Another two officers arrived and they were also involved in restraining him. Mr Wilkes became unwell and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The four officers involved in restraining Mr Wilkes have provided the IPCC with written statements. They also attended interviews with IPCC investigators but to date have declined to answer questions. However, following the interviews two of the officers have provided additional statements.

21-year-old dies after being restrained by police

Tragically a young man has died following contact with police and my thoughts are with his family at this terribly difficult time. With the help of eyewitnesses we can piece together as much information as possible to assist us in forming a clear sequence of events leading up to Sean’s death.

IPCC investigators have met Mr Wilkes’ family to explain our role and outline the investigation. I would like to assure them that our investigation will be thorough and robust in establishing the circumstances surrounding Sean’s death.”

– Cindy Butts, IPCC Commissioner

Anyone who can provide information is urged to contact the IPCC by email at Folkestone@ipcc.gsi.gov.uk or on freephone 0800 096 9075.

A post mortem has proved inconclusive as to cause of death and further tests are being carried out. An inquest has been opened and adjourned.


IPCC appeal for witnesses following man's death

The incident happened on Richmond Street in Folkestone Credit: Bing

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is appealing for witnesses to help them in their investigation, following the death of a man in Folkestone after he was restrained by Kent Police officers.

Anyone who witnessed the incident in Richmond Street between 10.20pm on Saturday, 6 and 1am on Sunday, 7 July, is being asked to come forward. Sean William Wilkes, who was 21, had been at a house party on Saturday evening when Kent Police officers responded to a call of a disturbance.

The IPCC say, that Mr Wilkes was being restrained by two members of the public. Two police officers arrived at Richmond Street and took over the restraint.

They were joined by two additional officers, who were also involved in the restraint of Mr Wilkes. Mr Wilkes became unwell and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Back to top