- 5 updates
The widow of a teacher who died after being exposed to asbestos whilst working at an Eastbourne school, has spoken of her relief after securing justice from the local council over his illness. Sue Beck, says her husband was 'robbed of his life'.
Sarah Wolf, the legal expert at Irwin Mitchell’s who represented Mrs Beck, said: “Perhaps the most tragic aspect of Clive’s story is that he was exposed to asbestos while doing a job he loved at a school where he worked tirelessly for more than a quarter of a decade.”
The widow of a teacher who died from mesothelioma after being exposed to asbestos during 26 years of work at an Eastbourne school, has spoken of her relief after securing justice from the local council over his illness.
Clive Beck, who was Head of History at Ratton School between 1972 and 1998, died aged 71 in April 2009, around 18 months after he was diagnosed with the incurable cancer of the lining of the lung.
His widow Sue, 70, launched a legal bid against East Sussex County Council over concerns that more could have been done to protect Mr Beck from inhaling asbestos fibres at the school during his career. Mrs Beck and her family have received an an out-of-court settlement.