Elderly couple found dead in their home

Fumes from a generator have claimed the lives of an elderly couple from Sussex. It's thought it was left on overnight during a power cut.

Live updates

Elderly couple found dead after carbon monoxide poisoning

It's believed the storms have claimed yet more lives after an elderly couple were found dead at their home in Sussex.

It's thought Kenneth Swallow and his wife Dorothy from Hurstpierpoint may have succumbed to carbon monoxide fumes from a generator left running during a power cut.

Shortly after midday on Boxing Day relatives found an elderly couple dead in their home in Malthouse Lane, Hurstpierpoint.

There are no suspicious circumstances and it is thought the man and woman may have succumbed to fumes from a generator left running overnight following a power cut.

An investigation into their deaths continues. The couple who died have now been formally identified as Kenneth Swallow, 70, and his wife, Dorothy, 71.

The post mortem examinations have been carried out. An inquest into their deaths was due to be opened on Friday, 3 January and adjourned to a date to be fixed.

– Sussex Police


Back to top