- 7 updates
The man rescued from the balcony of a burning Winchester building has praised the Hampshire fire crews for their life-saving actions. 24 year old, Alex Mutulescu, was awoken by the sound of a smoke alarm when fire broke out in the terraced building in Jewry Street yesterday afternoon.
He ran to the communal landing of the flats where he found smoke pouring from the doorway of the neighbouring flat. Unable to escape down the building's staircase, his only option was to clamber on to the balcony of his flat and call 999.
He said: "The fire engines were here so quickly. In a couple of minutes they were outside my flat and had put up a ladder. They helped bring me down and away from the fire. I am so grateful for their actions and want to send my thanks to the crews who got there so quickly and saved my life."
An office worker has praised Hampshire Fire & Rescue Service for their quick response to a fire at a building in Jewry Street in Winchester.
Renita Johal said: "I was sitting at my desk and heard glass break outside. I looked out and saw the flames in the window. I called 999 immediately.
"Fire kept growing and we could feel the heat in the office. Fire brigade were here so quickly, they did great- a very well done to them!"
Firefighters are tackling a building fire in Winchester's Jewry Street. The road is closed between St Georges Street and City Road.
Five pumps are in attendance as crews try to put the blaze out.